New to mopar.. 340?

-

70dusterpink

Reaction score
So I can get a good running 340. What should I look for to tell if it's really a 1969 340? Also it's going in a 1970 duster and want it to run mid 12 second and still be streeible how hard is that? I was thinking 3.55 gears 727 with 2000 stall and the 340 has a cam and intake and headers but what else do I need to make it 12.5 car? I know everyone says a stock 340 puts out about 325hp 340 torque. So I'm thinking it shouldn't be to hard

There are numbers cast into the block that give you the displacement and build date.
We have numerous people here that are better qualified to answer the rest of your questions. Good Luck and have Fun.

The 340s are revving engines. So while you may get it to run mid 12s witht hose gears and convertor, I think it will prove very difficult. 340s are not torquey so you need to rev them. If it's got the usual cam/intake/headers deal I'd think you should have no issues going deep into the 13s on street tires and full exh. But it's asking a lot to run mid 12s.

Well I would be running Mickey thompson et streets but low 13s are nice. Ya it's a simple cam intake headers 340

Convert to a roller cam, lifters, and rockers. This will help a lot because the cam will put you in the power curve sooner and keep you there longer. I have one in my 340. Just remember to get the roller cam with a cast iron gear on it.

i agree 340´s like gear and converter alot! they have a habbit of making there power fairly high in the range

I cant help with the hp, but for the date, look at the pass side right by where the engine mount would go just abv the oil pan. there is a flat machined surface and the vin for the engine will be there. It should be something like 9bxxxxxx

If I was you I would go bigger than a 2000 stall and I would go with at least 391s.I would goat least a 3500 stall..

I agree with all of this except the 3500............unless it's a "mostly strip car" with vary little street.

I would say 2500 to 3000 rpm stall converter would work, if you don't OVER Cam it!!!!!!!!

I agree with all of this except the 3500............unless it's a "mostly strip car" with vary little street.

I would say 2500 to 3000 rpm stall converter would work, if you don't OVER Cam it!!!!!!!!

a 3000+rpm converter realy isnt a problem on the street as long as its a good converter.
i have been summertime daily driven my duster since i bought it exept for last summer when it didnt go anywhere with a converter that flashes to 3500rpms with no problems at all,drives almost like a stock converter until i need all that stall then it comes alive. but i agree if you have a cheap noname convterter,mine is a custombuilt unit that wasnt even close to cheap

340´s are not torque monster bigblocks and i want all of what little torque the short stroke puts out right there when i floor it, i i ever get a stock 340 i wouldnt hessitate to put a good 3-3500rpm convterter behind it even for daily driving,and if i ever need a new converter for my sligtly overcamed 340 i wouldnt say no to 4000 rpms or more flashstall,wish may be there when the blown 340 goes in the car anyway

-
Back