New to mopar 8.8 swap

-

BaadGT

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm very new to the whole mopar scene and I recently purchased a 70 Duster. Im in the process of stripping the whole car for some body work that needs to be done. Im also pulling the /6, 833, and 7 1/4. I'm hoping to put in a 440 with a 727 and looking at rear end ideas. Im also mini tubing the car with a spring relocation.

I understand the purists will crucify me for doing this but I just can't see spending the kind of money to do it with an A body 8 3/4. I have a few questions, I've looked at the sticky and its answered most.

1. How would I go about measuring the correct length to take off each side with the mini tub?
2. How would I go about shortening the axels, and if I can't do that where would I get correct length axels?
3. What kid of offset are people running on axels that are mini tubbed for a 10 inch wide wheel?
4. How would I set the spring perches in the right spot on the new shortened rear?

Sorry if some of these questions are stupid/ have been answered already like I said I'm very new to this whole thing and don't know where else to look.

I have a Dart Sport, same body basically as the Duster, and I run a B body rear in it with 10" wide wheels with a 5 1/2" BS.

If you used an A body rear, I can't imagine having to shorten it.

I didn't have to shorten anything. I have not mini tubbed it yet.

Yea I have read all 12 pages of that thread and no one mentions the length you need for a mini tub and what to do about the axels...

Yea I have read all 12 pages of that thread and no one mentions the length you need for a mini tub and what to do about the axels...

You can mini tub and run a standard A body rear. Unless you want to go 8.8. Either one will work.

8.8 would probably be cheaper though, I dunno.

Really what you need to do is decide what wheels you want to run and then see what backspacing is available for those wheels and then build your rearend around those measurements. As far as axels, the 8.8s came in mustangs as well so moser and strange and other axle companies will easily make axle shafts whatever length you need

-
Back