New to mopar/slant 6/other things

-
Reaction score
Hello!

I work at a small vintage 2 stroke motorcycle/moped/scooter shop in Boston and I just picked up a long bed 1984 Dodge D150 with a slant 6 and an a833. It was the exact combo I'd been looking for in a work truck and it was relatively rust free to boot. I know it's not an A-body, but I was referred by someone else from another forum that told me this is the #1 place for any slant 6 info on the web.

It runs/drive okay but definitely needs some attention, the first thing I'm looking to do is get rid of the leanburn system. I have a parts list compiled that hopefully has everything I'll need to convert to a GM HEI setup. The holley 1945 is on it's way out the door for as well, I'm not sure what it'll be replaced with yet. That mostly depends on what parts I can find for my budget (feel free to shoot me a message if you've got some parts gathering dust that you think I'll be able to make use of). I think the long term plan is to build a hot little street /6 and swap it in next winter sometime when I finish other projects.

Anyway, I look forward to using this resource over the next few months as I dive into this thing and attempt to make it a reliable little motorcycle hauler.

-Brandon

Hello!

I work at a small vintage 2 stroke motorcycle/moped/scooter shop in Boston and I just picked up a long bed 1984 Dodge D150 with a slant 6 and an a833. It was the exact combo I'd been looking for in a work truck and it was relatively rust free to boot. I know it's not an A-body, but I was referred by someone else from another forum that told me this is the #1 place for any slant 6 info on the web.

It runs/drive okay but definitely needs some attention, the first thing I'm looking to do is get rid of the leanburn system. I have a parts list compiled that hopefully has everything I'll need to convert to a GM HEI setup. The holley 1945 is on it's way out the door for as well, I'm not sure what it'll be replaced with yet. That mostly depends on what parts I can find for my budget (feel free to shoot me a message if you've got some parts gathering dust that you think I'll be able to make use of). I think the long term plan is to build a hot little street /6 and swap it in next winter sometime when I finish other projects.

Anyway, I look forward to using this resource over the next few months as I dive into this thing and attempt to make it a reliable little motorcycle hauler.

-Brandon

You know, those two sentences don't work out together all that well. :D

Welcome! Great combo on that truck. Post some pics! Just a note... slants are very sensitive to carburetor ice issues in the colder climates when using any type of carburetor adapter. If you chose to go that way some consideration and prevention measures will put you ahead.

Welcome! Great combo on that truck. Post some pics! Just a note... slants are very sensitive to carburetor ice issues in the colder climates when using any type of carburetor adapter. If you chose to go that way some consideration and prevention measures will put you ahead.

I'll snap some pics once I roll it out to the street. It's nothing pretty to look at, but it was the exact combo I wanted. I've wanted an older a-body for years but mostly given up on finding a good cheap one in the northeast. I actually wasn't even looking for a truck when I bought this (although admittedly, I needed one), but it sorta fell into my lap and the price was right. I should be able to abuse it for years to come.

Question (or maybe I should be in another forum posting this?), were all Holley 1945s the same? Would a 1984 have a less/more desirable model 1945? I'm about to order a rebuild kit and although it seems like those are all the same I just want to know if while I have the carb apart I should close anything off/replace anything else that might be problematic. I'm reading a little bit now about drilling out the idle feed restriction on these carbs.

I'm in the middle of pulling out the dead air injection system and all that now, so with all that stuff gone this thing will probably run a lot better. I have to finish gathering parts for the GM HEI conversion too.

-
Back