New to Mopar with a 71 Valiant Chrger

-

Hanzeth

Reaction score
Hi all, I am from a small town Parys in South Africa and have just bought myself my first Mopar. a 71 Valiant Charger. still in decent shape but without an engine and transmission. I need a few items for my charger and am sure someone will be able to tell me where I can buy from. As this is my first mopar I have no idea. on the chevy side I do as I have 3 chevy pickups I'm currently busy with.

20240427_154028.jpg

20240427_154041.jpg

20240427_154055.jpg

20240427_154105.jpg

20240427_154114.jpg

20240427_154124.jpg

:welcome: from :canada:

In North American markets that car is called a Dodge Demon.
Looks like it is in very solid condition body wise, as for powertrain, I don't know what is available or common in your area, and it depends somewhat on how it was equipped originally when it comes to your options.

all our valiants had /6 engines in. we do have the Chrysler 300c rhd in SA. I am considering using a 5.7l hemi with its auto box from the 300c. it is cheaper to buy a complete driveable car than an engine and transmission.

all our valiants had /6 engines in. we do have the Chrysler 300c rhd in SA. I am considering using a 5.7l hemi with its auto box from the 300c. it is cheaper to buy a complete driveable car than an engine and transmission.
It usually is cheaper to buy a complete car here too. You will need motor mounts, I suggest looking into the modern hemi swap threads for information.

that I will do for the motor mounts. I will also need a complete rubber weather kit. no rubbers on the doors and trunk lid so I have no samples. the only suppliers I could find up to date is Classic Industries. is there anyone else. Classic Industries is not the cheapest. that I know from my chevy builds

I bought door seals from RockAuto.com, not sure what else you need, but you will find that to be a pretty good source, all makes and models, stock type replacement parts.

Thanks missing linc, I will google them. my speedometer cluster looks like the 1968 plymouth valiant's. all rectangular gauges. for me not nice. looking for a set of demon gauges. will 3D print a rhd cluster housing for the gauges. build myne as a dodge demon

Welcome aboard! Very cool ride! Is that speedo in mph or kph?
For parts, try Van's Auto, Summit, Dantes Parts, Tony's Parts, we have sponsors here on fabo, chk the sponsors page to see who. Good luck!

thanks everyone for the nice welkom. my speedo is in Kph as is in SA. thanks for the info on where to look for parts. I am looking for a demon bezel for the round speedo for sure. Here some pics of my interior

20240429_092323.jpg

20240429_092344.jpg

20240429_092423.jpg

20240429_092430.jpg

20240429_092435.jpg

For the round speedometer like the Demon, you need a rally dash, which would require a metal dash frame swap.

Welcome to the site!
Here's another option., I have some of their product, and it Fit really well, but I don't remember if I ordered it direct, or got it through a supplier
Search Results

For the round speedometer like the Demon, you need a rally dash, which would require a metal dash frame swap.
Hi 4spdragtop, do you have a photo of this rally dash to give me an idea of what it looks like. NVU has a nice speedo setup that can work if I do not get demon speedo gauges but I still need the bezel where the speedo fits into

69257-01m__14214.jpg

thanks everyone for the nice welkom. my speedo is in Kph as is in SA. thanks for the info on where to look for parts. I am looking for a demon bezel for the round speedo for sure. Here some pics of my interior

View attachment 1716243244

View attachment 1716243245

Hi Hanzeth

Oddly, your dash is a mix of the '67-69 Valiant dash (for the squared gauges) and '71-72 Dodge Demon (for the false wood).
And your steering wheel is a '70 (only) deluxe one with horn ring. The horn ring has been abandoned by Chrysler for 1971.

Here's the base (non rallye) '71 Dodge Demon dash, with deluxe steering wheel :
S81 (2).jpg

As mentioned by 4spdragtop, the Dodge Demon rallye dash won't be compatible with your dash frame.

Here's pic of our 67 cuda rally dash. The metal frame has to be compatible with the dash bezel. You can tweak/modify but it requires some in depth modifications.
Hi 4spdragtop, do you have a photo of this rally dash to give me an idea of what it looks like. NVU has a nice speedo setup that can work if I do not get demon speedo gauges but I still need the bezel where the speedo fits into

View attachment 1716243638

20240430_071815.jpg

Here's pic of our 67 cuda rally dash. The metal frame has to be compatible with the dash bezel. You can tweak/modify but it requires some in depth modifications.
This is what I want to do. I want the round gauges of your 67 cuda. if I can get a bezel even with the piece above the radio broken off it will help me. I need it for a template to make me one for the RHD. A bezel that will be the size of my squire gauge speedo. I will make a non rally dash look like a rally dash. WAW remove the piece above the radio and make it rectangular.

013-1971-dodge-demon-instrument-cluster-scaled.jpg

I might be wrong on how it looks and work. I only have pic to look at and not one in my hands but if I have a sample I am sure I can make one. 3D printing can do wonders

Hi Hanzeth

Oddly, your dash is a mix of the '67-69 Valiant dash (for the squared gauges) and '71-72 Dodge Demon (for the false wood).
And your steering wheel is a '70 (only) deluxe one with horn ring. The horn ring has been abandoned by Chrysler for 1971.
hi, that is how the 1971 Valiant Charger looked in SA. mine is a sport coupe. Except for the gauges it is the same as the demon. I want it to look like the demon. call me mad if you want but that is what I like.

You will notice that in NA Rally dashes from 67-9, the hazard switch is top left, yours looks like a different type switch, as well as different location. Key in the dash is good! Much easier to swap out if need be.
Also in 1970 and up they moved the hazard switch location from the dash to steering column. So ideally you would want a 67-9 rally dash bezel, but your frame could be from 67 up to 73/4 I believe??
I have a busted up rally bezel if interested? Free, just pay the ride.

4spdragtop, thanks for that bezel. can you post a pic please. My sister in law lives in Grennel Kansas and she sends me a parcel with things I buy in the states every so often. If I have your contacts I can arrange for her to arrange a pickup if that is fine by you. thanks again, that will make my life easier

It's busted up pretty good, but might be useful to reverse scan? I'll get u pics and a ship quote to your sister.
4spdragtop, thanks for that bezel. can you post a pic please. My sister in law lives in Grennel Kansas and she sends me a parcel with things I buy in the states every so often. If I have your contacts I can arrange for her to arrange a pickup if that is fine by you. thanks again, that will make my life easier

-
Back