New to Mopars---BUT always a cool different car fan.

-

Clark38

Reaction score
short story - ended up with a 66 Barracuda to restore for grandson as his 1st car. I am at the end of the build and have some issue with the car/transmission/rear end power...
former owner put in a A-833 4 spd with OD behind the slant 6.. (it still has the stock 7.25 rear end with i believe 3.23 stock gears)... pretty sure he never had it running with this configuration.

This car is sluggish in 1st and 2nd, and I actually lose speed when shifting into 3rd.. (never have tried to get up to speed for a 4th gear shift)...
Im hearing that this may be too tall of gears for the rear end, and off of another thread it might be the linkage hook up incorrectly for 3/4 gear. (tab goes down?? not Up.)

anyone on the site have some additional thoughts on what to 2x check? (I'm almost at wits end.)

2.jpg

Me and Gavin 3.8.2022.jpg

few other pics on the car.... Thanks.
once i figure out the issues on this "franken version 1966", it will be on to the grandsons house. Then I can either start on a 64 barracuda for other grandson, or get back to my 1938 Business Coup Build.

thumbnail_IMG_5479.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6113.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6182.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6184.jpg

IMG_1407.JPG

plymouth with nose on.JPG

Welcome to FABO!!

Great job on the Barracuda. I know it was fun having your grandson's help!

Awesome '38! How bout some more info on it??
Got this 38 from a barn from the brother of the guy I bought a 56 Studebaker pick up from... turning it into a hotrod with SB 350, Mustang 2 front rack and Coil overs in rear end with a hydraulic bag system in back.. Going to be dark cherry color

Welcome to FABO!
Not just (1) but (3) projects to share? You're definitely starting out on the right foot around here lol! Awesome to hear of your projects involving the grandkids.
That's great stuff IMO.

Tell your grandson to take care care and enjoy that 66. I enjoy my 66, first car, purchased it way back in 1975

Welcome aboard from Northeast Arkansas, that 66 sure turned out nice :thumbsup:

I think so. after seeing this info in another post I 2x checked mine and I do have one up and one down (like images in the link) I will of course look again in the am...
TT5 - here is a picture of
I think so. after seeing this info in another post I 2x checked mine and I do have one up and one down (like images in the link) I will of course look again in the am...

Here is a picture of the tabs on the transmission in the car. These appear correct to me. Am I missing something on these being in the correct position?

thumbnail_IMG_6412.jpg

Looks correct to me if you in fact have an 833OD trans. If you have a non OD trans then you are shifting in to 4th from 2nd.

Welcome, car looks great! So cool you guys are able to spend time like that!

Sox fan (cubs suck) and a /6 powered early cuda...
Looks like he's being raised right..
And no, 3.23 isn't "too tall" of a gear for that combo, sounds like about the perfect gear for a cruiser, wonder if there's something wrong with the engine.. could be as simple as a tune up and valve adjustment away from running right ..
I've had /6s in pick ups that held their own, weighs more than your car....

Two levers up and 1 down? ain't it??? OD.... Or am I backwards!!!
The information that I had was that if the transmission Body and the bell housing are aluminum, then is is 100% that is is a 4speed OD unit... Based on this info, I have the tabs with 1/2 up, 3/4 down and reverse down...

My next step would be to possible turn 3/4 back upright and maybe assume that the tranny is not an actual OD unit..(prior owner stated that it was an OD also.) I have numbers off tranny, but cant find anywhere to help to decode this yet....
anyone able to help with this info?

Numbers are - C178617 PP63_ 5324
C13305 - (on tail shaft)
Thanks,

Go drive it and shift from 2nd to 4th. You’ll know right away.

You need to tune that engine if it is sluggish in first gear. Points? Timing? Adjust carb? Is the choke open? Then I'd try shifting from 2nd to 4th gear as in post #24 above. Unfortunately, it is hard to tell what someone did with your 4 speed from the outside. Then figure out what rear ratio you have for sure. Do all the tires spin easy? Something sounds way off.

-
Back