4speed overdrive linkage set up correct?

-

Moab-MoparKid

Reaction score
I'm recently in the process of putting a 4speed in my 71 dart and I wanna make sure I have my linkages in the right place? Also I'm curious about the position of my operating levers? I don't have any books on the A833 and wanna make sure everything is A Ok before I put it under the car
20180106_151943.jpg
20180106_151932.jpg

Both 1st 2nd and 3rd 4th arms face down on the case on an overdrive. You have one up and one down. At least both of the ones we have are set up this way. But we have only ever ran real 4 speeds so not completely sure.

Last edited:
You know the trick to use a small dowel or drill (3/16 I think) to lock the shifter in neutral? You then put the trans levers in nuetral and adjust the rods to fit.

You know the trick to use a small dowel or drill (3/16 I think) to lock the shifter in neutral? You then put the trans levers in nuetral and adjust the rods to fit.

AH! that's the trick I'm probably needing to put to use! thanks! Then once you do that it should line up the operating levers....?

And if anyone would like to help me with what oil to use I would appreciate it. I've read FSM (factory Service Manual?) Says to use ATF in the winter and gear oil in the summer?......

In the winter she's parked in the garage

Both 1st 2nd and 3rd 4th arms face down on the case on an overdrive. You have one up and one down. At least both of the ones we have are set up this way. But we have only ever ran real 4 speeds so not completely sure.

The reason only 3/4 is reversed is that the transmission has been re-geared so that "the regular" 3rd gear is now the OD gear. So when you shift it, 123, "3" is actually the old 4th gear "straight through" position, and "4" is the old 3rd gear, now the new OD gear

I'd be interested to know more about doing this.

The tool in that pic looks like it clamps the outside of the levers. Any Hurst shifter I have seen has drilled holes through the levers and corresponding notches in the shifter body. You insert a rod through all three levers and the notches, this locks all the shift levers in nuetral.

I like to keep the 3-4 lever of the shifter adjusted slightly to the rear with the lever on the transmission centered if I'm planning on power shifting a lot. Seems to help prevent missed third gear.

-
Back