new to site

-

fonzy

Reaction score
Ecstatic about a possible purchase this week of a 66 valiant sedan. The current owner says it's a 225 slant 6, I am going to check the water pump hose to make certain it's not a 170. I am guessing I could also check the numbers on the motor itself as well to be certain, that info is probably on the net. One question I have is do these models have EGR valves? If so where would one purchase one that would work on this year and model? The body and interior are straight, a little surface rust on the passenger side, no horrible rust. Thinking of taking care of that immediately after we straighten out the motor. :cheers: thanks in advance for replies.

Yeah, I wasn't certain on the EGR but thought I would ask, it sat for a year. My guess is a carb rebuild is in order, as well as a new tank of fuel, and filter. It's a beauty, as soon as I get pics I will post em. As far as fuel, I should use a lead additive more than likely? Or were the valves and seats hardened? I am like a new dad, lol....worried about every thing I do with this and excited at the same time. By the way, the deal is it starts fine, but will not idle, he believes his kid may have burnt a valve, but it doesn't start like it's missing to me, but we are going to check the compression anyway. he even gave us a new head for it. this is a project car for my dad and I, so we will go over it.

Re: lead additive, a recent discussion about that here, the consensus seemed to be that Mopar engines were built tough enough that you don't need it.

First off, welcome to our humble site Fonzy! Now, maybe try what my buddy calls a "Marvel Mystery Enema" for that carb! He did it on a little colt I had that wouldn't idle and it was purring like a little kitten in no time! Basically, you rev up the motor and dump some Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam down the carb while its still revving and cover the throat with a rag until it almost stalls. Then feather the gas a little to keep it running and rev it back up and do it again a couple more times and see if it settles into an idle! Worth the $8 to give it a try, and it works!! Geof

-
Back