New transgo won’t shift

-

340Duster247

Reaction score
hey guys finally took the car for its first drive since the tranny got rebuilt and a new full manual transgo installed and the car won’t up shift from first.
PRN all work fine. Put it in 1st and went to shift and nothing. I have the kickdown lever fully fastened back like instructed.
Kind of at a loss here.

The OP say's "New Transgo" but which kit?
The TF2 kit is not made to wire the throttle pressure all the way back, and if it is a TF2 kit this is probably why it won't shift.

This could be verified by tying half way back and see if it shifts.
With a TF2 kit and the lever tied all the way back it wouldn't shift until real high in the RPM's.

The OP say's "New Transgo" but which kit?
The TF2 kit is not made to wire the throttle pressure all the way back, and if it is a TF2 kit this is probably why it won't shift.

This could be verified by tying half way back and see if it shifts.
With a TF2 kit and the lever tied all the way back it wouldn't shift until real high in the RPM's.
Full manual so it’s the TF-3

try taking off in second gear from a stop does it work or seem really doggy like it is taking off in second gear?

By the way nothing is top secret any more I was going to give you my phone number to try and help via phone call I wanted you to check a couple of things so I could try and help you. Trail beast already asked the question I second it did you put correct valve back into transmission.

The trans go instructions will drive you crazy you really have to pay attention to what they say, DO THIS, DON'T DO THIS IF THIS YEAR, DO THIS IF THIS YEAR, you probably missed a step or did something you shouldn't. Go back and read the instructions and pay attention to all the sayings and years and see if you did something wrong.

I had the trans built by a local shop that is highly recommended.
When putting in 2nd and taking off it’s still like 1st.
I used to have a tf2 installed that I did myself without any problems, but I recently decided it was time for a full rebuild on the tranny and while it was at their shop they added a new tf3 kit.

In that case I would drive it or tow it over to them and tell them to fix it!

I would disconnect the kick down ( tv ) lever that is tied back and see if it shifts to me it sounds like they have put in the TF-2 kit in the trans. I have not installed a TF-3 but if my memory is correct when I looked at them it should work like a turbo action valve cheetah valve body and take off in second ( sluggish )

Also if you paid someone to do the trans I agree brian6pack they should stand behind their work.

Take it back to whom ever built it. They obviously didn’t pay attention to detail. Kim
Couldn't agree more Kim. Over the years I called on a lot of transmission shops, and there were damn few that knew much about performance transmission work. Everyday work, no problem, but performance work they might take on, but didn't like doing it. You can't slam bang a performance transmission together, and expect it to work properly.
JMHO

Called trans guy. He’s gonna talk to his main tech tomorrow. Said he will figure it out. Hopefully he does. I tried with the kickdown not tied back and with a cable adjusted correctly and no change. On the phone my trans guy was just as confused as us but hopefully it gets worked out.

Called trans guy. He’s gonna talk to his main tech tomorrow. Said he will figure it out. Hopefully he does. I tried with the kickdown not tied back and with a cable adjusted correctly and no change. On the phone my trans guy was just as confused as us but hopefully it gets worked out.
Sounds to me like maybe the selector wasn't hooked up correctly? I rebuild a 904 with a T3 shift kit for the very first time last summer and it worked perfectly. $104 for the rebuild kit and $92 for the T 3 shift kit. Anything over that was Labor they better get that straight. the first timer like me can rebuild one of those and make a real gear banging dragstrip transmission out of it at the very least they can make yours work right or whatever you paid over $200 in parts.

Running down the troubleshooting list for no uphift w/manual shift trans: 1) low fluid level 2) kickdown band adjustment 3) line pressure too high or low 4) valve body malfunction 5) malfunctioning clutch or servo 6) oil pump malfunction 7) kickdown band, apply linkage or servo malfunction 8) front clutch worn or malfunctioning 9) broken input shaft/reaction shaft rings 10) shift lever adjustment. The front clutch and rear clutch are on or off depending on which gear is selected, the kickdown band, low/reverse band are applied differently in each gear. Pressure tests will identify what's happening or not happening.

Running down the troubleshooting list for no uphift w/manual shift trans: 1) low fluid level 2) kickdown band adjustment 3) line pressure too high or low 4) valve body malfunction 5) malfunctioning clutch or servo 6) oil pump malfunction 7) kickdown band, apply linkage or servo malfunction 8) front clutch worn or malfunctioning 9) broken input shaft/reaction shaft rings 10) shift lever adjustment. The front clutch and rear clutch are on or off depending on which gear is selected, the kickdown band, low/reverse band are applied differently in each gear. Pressure tests will identify what's happening or not happening.

That narrowed it down for us. :D

I know this a year old but did this ever get resolved? I am having the same issue. Thanks

-
Back