New TrickFlow vs Edelbrock Victor340 intake testing. Numbers are in.

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
First off let’s thank @SS Lancer for the use of his head for the test, @boosted for sending his brandy new TrickFlow intake, and @red440 for the use of his new Victor340 used in this test. Well first the great news. The slotted intake mounting holes allows you to grab a 1 1/4-1 1/2 inch long 3/8 bolt and easily use a 9/16 hex head bolt on the inner bolt holes. Now for the not so good news. If you are going to order an intake and use it out of the box pay attention to the posted numbers. I know which one I would go with. Any questions post them up and I will try to answer them. A few pictures on the bench and flow numbers.

IMG_0053.jpeg

IMG_0054.jpeg

IMG_0056.jpeg

IMG_0055.jpeg

IMG_0059.jpeg

Just looking at the above pictures while baking some chicken. notice how vertical the TrickFlow plenum is compared to the Victor340. (Almost 90 degree) Bill and I talked on the phone this evening and he wants me to port it so I’ll put it in line for hopefully mid to late November. Usually when I bolt an intake on a head I will take my shoulder and lift up as I tighten the manifold to the head. Well with these slotted holes I ended up 1/8-3/16 raised up on the floor. So I loosened it up and dropped it down some. Bill is going to have 8 sleeves for the outer 8 bolt holes. I will be notching my four inner holes like this on my personal Victor340 intakes from now on. I was hoping for an out of the box improvement for the out of box users but on this runner this intake totally shut down. Now on an unported head. Hmmmmmm I’m not sure. Maybe a test for a rainy day.

Damn the intakes, tell us about the baked chicken. lol

My initial impression, based solely on the plenum floor, was that the TF would flow only slightly better. Color me surprised. Thanks for sharing.

First off let’s thank @SS Lancer for the use of his head for the test, @boosted for sending his brandy new TrickFlow intake, and @red440 for the use of his new Victor340 used in this test. Well first the great news. The slotted intake mounting holes allows you to grab a 1 1/4-1 1/2 inch long 3/8 bolt and easily use a 9/16 hex head bolt on the inner bolt holes. Now for the not so good news. If you are going to order an intake and use it out of the box pay attention to the posted numbers. I know which one I would go with. Any questions post them up and I will try to answer them. A few pictures on the bench and flow numbers.

View attachment 1716157551

View attachment 1716157552

View attachment 1716157553

View attachment 1716157554

View attachment 1716157555
Are the ports you tested similar in cross-sectional size? Looks like they are from the pictures. Just wondering if the plenum shape is the main difference. Looking forward to those ported results. The casting quality looks good but it will be interesting to see if it can keep up with the Victor 340 with similar effort. Either way, I am glad there is another single plane intake option for guys running small block Mopars.

Thanks for posting this.

Are the ports you tested similar in cross-sectional size? Looks like they are from the pictures. Just wondering if the plenum shape is the main difference. Looking forward to those ported results. The casting quality looks good but it will be interesting to see if it can keep up with the Victor 340 with similar effort. Either way, I am glad there is another single plane intake option for guys running small block Mopars.

Thanks for posting this.

Honestly I took both of these intakes right out of the box and mounted them on the head. I studied the four pictures last night sitting here eating than I did in the shop. After I get Chris’s other head done I can clean off a table and dig into this further and I will start a clean new post of what I find. I appreciate the kind words and interest.

Do you already see areas on the trick flow intake you’re interested in trying to improve?

Do you already see areas on the trick flow intake you’re interested in trying to improve?

For sure that almost 90 degree plenum to runner (top) is going to get a nice radius. If you look where my finger is at the top of the runner it feels very small. And if you look at my finger in the bend the bend feels sharp. Remember I usually test an inner port because 9 times out of 10 if I can get those 4 inner ports to flow nicely the outer runners are a cakewalk. Something that hit me when I grabbed the TrickFlow intake out of the box last night. It feels lite to me and that may not be a good thing. I will be breaking out my sonic checker when I work this one. I’ll try to grab my nitrous scale and weigh both these intakes today or tomorrow.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Makes sense. I’ve heard (read) you say it many times.

“THINK RADIUS”.

I’ve hit both. One in a race truck that ended up on its roof after rolling a few times and then caught fire. The other just ends up with tire squeal and my girlfriend yelling. Good times.

What's crazy is the difference in operating range listed by each manufacturer. Just looking at the intakes, you would think it would be much closer to being the same. Based on these numbers, I kinda feel like when using out of the box intake and heads, the TF intake and Eddy heads would be a good combo and the Eddy 340 intake and TF heads are a perfect match.

Trick Flow 3000-7000 RPMs
Edelbrock 3500-8000 RPMs

What's crazy is the difference in operating range listed by each manufacturer. Just looking at the intakes, you would think it would be much closer to being the same. Based on these numbers, I kinda feel like when using out of the box intake and heads, the TF intake and Eddy heads would be a good combo and the Eddy 340 intake and TF heads are a perfect match.

Edelbrock 3500-8000 RPMs

Be nice to see what the dyno would have to say doing some mixing and matching. Wouldn’t be a hard test to do if you had the parts available.

Be nice to see what the dyno would have to say doing some mixing and matching. Wouldn’t be a hard test to do if you had the parts available.
I no longer have a set of Eddy heads so I can't do the full comparison but I do plan on putting my car on a chassis dyno and test both the Victor 340 and Trick Flow intakes back to back to see what the differences are.

I no longer have a set of Eddy heads so I can't do the full comparison but I do plan on putting my car on a chassis dyno and test both the Victor 340 and Trick Flow intakes back to back to see what the differences are.

But the TrickFlow intake will be ported at that time right???

John, thanks for your hard work and dedication to the small block Mopar as well as sharing this information with everyone here.

Edelbrock 3500-8000 RPMs

That’s because the intended RPM is just a WAG based on a bunch of variables.

-
Back