New truck wrecked

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
so my dad bought a 2017 Tacoma brand new 38k... yea I kno lol... anyway, he took it to the dealer for its first service check and they wrecked it, bay door wasn't opened enough and they trashed the roof.

They didn't call to tell him but rather waited till he came to pick it up, they gave him a truck to drive while they fix his which he was told would be a week.

Two weeks later they call him and say it will be 3 more weeks because they have to replace the entire roof! I think they should have given him another truck since now this one will always have an accident and major repair on its record, but the dealer doesn't seem to think that is right

You and he will know the truck was wrecked, that is bad enough. I bet the dealer doesn't turn it in so it will not show up on the carfax. totally sucks and I would want a different truck but I do not think you will get the dealer to agree to that. You have to look at it this way. If you took it to jiffylube and they did the same thing you probably would not be looking for a new truck but for them to pay to make it right.

I agree with both of you, and 100% the worst thing is him knowing it's been wrecked....

Is it legal for them to not have to turn it in or put it on a car fax?

Most likely varies from state to state, here in Calif the dollar amount of damage would force them to report it. The dealer isn't reporting to Toyota or their insurance because they don't want the liability investigation that followed. Your Dad has a huge lever, he aught to insist on a new truck and pay the difference.

Secondly, I'd take this up with the eastern district Toyota managers or the North America managers to see what Toyota will do, The certainly don't want it known one of their dealerships is so lackadaisical that they wiped out the truck.

Start going up the ladder. Dealer owner, district rep, his boss, etc! What have you got to loose?

I agree with both of you, and 100% the worst thing is him knowing it's been wrecked....

Is it legal for them to not have to turn it in or put it on a car fax?
Yep, carfax is a private company that pulls information from public records and insurance claims. They can pull from insurance claims because most insurance company's are publicly traded.
There's no law that says something must be reported to carfax. Nor is it illegal for a repair shop to fix a car on their dime and not report it.
What your dad did have the right to do, but probably didn't realize it, is to file a police report. He also has the right to depreciation of the value and loss of use of the truck now that it's been wrecked. He bought a new truck, I'm sure the dealer didn't put him into a brand new truck, he's no doubt in a used unit. I'd seek out an attorney, but be warned, the dealership has an attorney, no doubt on retainer.
As for contacting Toyota, they won't do anything. Toyota doesn't own the dealership and the day to day operations aren't their concern. As long as there are no defects in material or workmanship of what they sent out, it isn't a issue to them.
He really needs to see an attorney about this. The dealer is already experiencing issues with the repair, what's going on that you don't know about. What they are doing now is getting their tit out of the ringer as cheaply as they can.

I can say this,i'm 100% positive that it will never be right. So they should cough up, and provide a new truck and continue repairing that one and sell it off.

This is beyond a doubt bad business on their part.

At the very least,100% warranty on paint,rust,rattles and leakage for lifetime-in writing. Guaranteed they will refuse.

I did he contact his insurance. They might have something to say to the dealer about the matter.
And you wouldn't think it would go against his insurance because it was the dealers fault.

Gunbunny is... Almost... Dead on.
Except dealer seldom win court cases and will do almost anything to avoid one.
He should ask for diminished value at the very least. Im quite sure they could find a comparable used Tacoma.. Although that might just cost more than invoice on a new one. They have the best resale of any vehicle.

It would be "unfortunate " if the brakes didn't work properly on the loaner truck and your dad "accidentally " parked it inside the StealerShips showroom...
No, it would be criminal, and should be treated as such. There are a lot of people working for & providing services to a dealership that are sharp, professional, & have nothing
to do with one goof's bonehead move. Let them fix it, and then make them give You top trade value for what it is on another one that hasn't been scalped, as mbaird put it
they really try to avoid legal messes and bad publicity. I've seen it, I've seen them kiss some real jerk-offs asses who didn't deserve s*#t, call & talk directly to the GM of
that dealership......

I can say this,i'm 100% positive that it will never be right. So they should cough up, and provide a new truck and continue repairing that one and sell it off.

This is beyond a doubt bad business on their part.

At the very least,100% warranty on paint,rust,rattles and leakage for lifetime-in writing. Guaranteed they will refuse.
That's not entirely true, but You are at the mercy of the tech(s) performing the repairs. Over the 30yrs. I've known our dealership, back when most did not have their own
body shop(ours still does not), They only use a choice couple of shops that they could rely on......believe Me there are a lot more vehicles running around that were damaged
on the carriers en-route than one has any idea....and driven repaired for the whole life of the vehicle that way.
The extra time it is taking could be for a number of good reasons, expect an A1
job, expect to wait a little......

Gunbunny is... Almost... Dead on.
Except dealer seldom win court cases and will do almost anything to avoid one.
He should ask for diminished value at the very least. Im quite sure they could find a comparable used Tacoma.. Although that might just cost more than invoice on a new one. They have the best resale of any vehicle.
Well, I didn't mention that little fact because there's no guarantee of an outcome.
But dealers will try their damnedest to avoid a bad court case.
It's not to late to file a police report BTW. If I'm a defense lawyer in court, a question I'm going to ask is, why didn't you report the accident. (Of course the rebuttal is "why didn't the person driving the truck at the time report it")
On a side note, I've worked in dealerships since 1993. I've seen just about everything that could happen. You wouldn't believe how many times a customers car has been damaged and repaired with out the owner even knowing.
The worst case I ever saw, was an older customer left her car with the service dept while she traveled for a week. She had it towed in because the brakes were bad. Tech went to get the car, didn't read the RO and drove the car into the shop. As he pulled into his bay, there weren't any brakes and he drove right into the work bench and into the wall.
They pulled the car out and after some serious *** chewing, the car went straight to the body shop. All worked stopped and it was "all hands on deck" to get that car fixed.
When that lady showed up to get her car, she was charged for a brake repair and not a word was mentioned about her car having most of the front replaced. In fact, she did nothing but dote over the fact they took such good care of her.
To this day I thought that was dirty.
Just wondering, how many miles does it have and how long has he had it?

Oem body shops are few and far between,no questioning the quality of work, im simply stating the fact it can never be a factory fit and finish. They going to use oe toyota sheet metal? Or cut the roof off some other wreck? Body shops work for a profit too, cutting corners is job one, especially when dealer is going to be out of pocket. If there were a shred of integrity, customer would be driving a new truck off the lot.

Dealer customers pay through the nose for top quality service, obviously hes paying too much.

@twayne24365

Your Dad needs to ask the dealership for compensation due to "diminished value" IMO. That's what I would do...

Most likely varies from state to state, here in Calif the dollar amount of damage would force them to report it. The dealer isn't reporting to Toyota or their insurance because they don't want the liability investigation that followed. Your Dad has a huge lever, he aught to insist on a new truck and pay the difference.

Secondly, I'd take this up with the eastern district Toyota managers or the North America managers to see what Toyota will do, The certainly don't want it known one of their dealerships is so lackadaisical that they wiped out the truck.
-------------------------------------------------------
Agree w/ this post, makem give u a new one !!

We just damaged a new Porsche while installing a clearmask (cut into paint while trimming) and the customer was pissed.... Customer probably wouldnt have even known if we hadnt told her but we did.
We are replacing that car. It wasnt our 1st choice but its what will make her happy.

Tooljunkie I agree, you too bob. And mabird that is deffinately the right thing to do,

I also wondered where they are going to get a roof from as well, I certainly couldn't find one online.

Truck was in perfect shape, not even a spec of dirt on the floor, I think it has 3000 miles on it now

IMG_0059.JPG
Here's the truck... before it was wrecked lol

We just damaged a new Porsche while installing a clearmask (cut into paint while trimming) and the customer was pissed.... Customer probably wouldnt have even known if we hadnt told her but we did.
We are replacing that car. It wasnt our 1st choice but its what will make her happy.

Your replacing a $100,000 car because you scratched the paint?

91 GMC. 4 months old, 4000 miles. ICM goes south on me. Towed to the nearest GMC dealer. No parts available they say. Parts have to come from Atlanta they say, 10-12 days. I don't know just how many of those 4.3 V6s were on the road at the time, probably 100K+. No ICMs? 5 other GM dealers within 70 miles. I let them have 5 days. Parts still not shipped. I told them I didn't buy a brand new GMC to have it sit in their yard for 2 weeks to find a $50 part. 2 calls, 1 to GMC and 1 to GMAC finance expressing my displeasure. Miraculously the very next day it was fixed. For Pete's sake, my previous truck a Toyota 4x4 got an exhaust leak well after the warranty had expired. I figured exhaust manifold gasket, trot on down to the dealer to get a replacement, I knew the service manager there. "Alex, they don't have gaskets. It's a cracked manifold. Bring it in, it's a smog issue, we'll fix it free". Just a difference in dealerships? Difference in manufactures?

-
Back