New Victor340 intake from Jegs

-
It doesn't seem like using the gasket as a pattern is a good idea. I'd think that the head ports would be better to use as a pattern, then checking the intake with the heads and make sure the intake gasket is good for both. Just my opinion, don't know how to actually do it. It'll be interesting to hear what Edelbrock says about their heads, intakes and gaskets. Thanks for the thread.
The main issue is that OOTB in order to start to line up and match the runners the bolt holes in the intake have to be elongated. Port matching, gasket matching is to be expected but you can’t even start that until you get the thing in the ballpark.

The main issue is that OOTB in order to start to line up and match the runners the bolt holes in the intake have to be elongated. Port matching, gasket matching is to be expected but you can’t even start that until you get the thing in the ballpark.

Im not sure why some people can’t look at all the pictures we posted and see this. It’s not a head issue, it’s not a gasket issue, it’s an issues with mislocated mounting holes on the INTAKE.

Im not sure why some people can’t look at all the pictures we posted and see this. It’s not a head issue, it’s not a gasket issue, it’s an issues with mislocated mounting holes on the INTAKE.
John, mine were not uniform, so moving the gasket might help one pair of runners but make the other worse. :BangHead:

John, mine were not uniform, so moving the gasket might help one pair of runners but make the other worse. :BangHead:

Again it’s not sinking in. The gasket is good, the ports are good. So I can’t move the gasket. The HOLES on the intake are off. When assembling the gaskets will have to be glued to the heads. Then the modified holes on the intake will then let the intake be set where it’s supposed to go then and then only will it be right. I have to stop posting up tech stuff because these is to stressful.

Again it’s not sinking in. The gasket is good, the ports are good. So I can’t move the gasket. The HOLES on the intake are off. When assembling the gaskets will have to be glued to the heads. Then the modified holes on the intake will then let the intake be set where it’s supposed to go then and then only will it be right. I have to stop posting up tech stuff because these is to stressful.
Yes, John I got it. I should've typed "moving the intake". What I was saying was that slotting the holes in the intake wouldn't fix my intake. It might fix one pair but not the other.

This not a new issue by any stretch, it's been the same for years. A "new" intake could be better, or it could be worse.
if people keep using it by fixing it
they will keep making it like chit

I get your drift, I'm sure most do.
It's not rocket science. lol

I'd have a hard time opening up the mounting holes on a brand new "made in the USA" intake. That sucker would be going back for a new one again and again until I received one that was satisfactory. Unless of course I was under a time crunch - then all bets would be off. If these manufaccturers were held accountable by us customers, then maybe the quality of the product would improve. Or is that just wishful thinking?

Well it’s a process to lay this out correctly but it’s done and ready for the grinder. Holes are off from a minimum of .100 up to .115.

Not a lot of grinding but something that shouldn’t have to be done. I sent more pictures to Edelbrock.

8F8589A2-B6C8-4418-9082-DEE72BED1193.jpeg

D9D43ACF-239B-4E5F-9D9F-174BB248375B.jpeg

Holes open up on one side and ports roughed in on that side. I’ll hit her hard tomorrow. Here’s a picture of that lip in the plenum I told you guys about the other day when I opened it up in the house.

D60F0835-BA02-4F92-91AF-273F75519A41.jpeg

6A1196FC-FEAB-499D-A0E5-CF57AD514C7C.jpeg

77112E70-21EB-4DFB-B2A9-44CD69B5A647.jpeg

0F771720-1DA9-4DC0-8134-83C38416B06A.jpeg

On mine the distance from the long walls of runners 3 to 5 and 4 to 6 is about .060” more than the gaskets measured width. I was only able to rough up and work the corners like I mentioned. The short walls line up after port matching though, but now those four runners are slightly wider. All I can do is center the intake with the gaskets and heads, leave a slight .030” step on those runners long wall. Not grinding (widening) on my TF’s to make those ports match. Not worth it.

31CBC9C2-7FD0-4331-B558-473260587FCA.jpeg

Last edited:
About 10 years ago I bought a slightly used 340 victor off eBay that the ports and holes were misaligned like that. I contacted Edelbrock and figured they’d say sorry about your luck since I bought it used, but instead they had me ship it to them and sent me a brand new one.

About 10 years ago I bought a slightly used 340 victor off eBay that the ports and holes were misaligned like that. I contacted Edelbrock and figured they’d say sorry about your luck since I bought it used, but instead they had me ship it to them and sent me a brand new one.
lol@ 10 yrs ago
good customer service
pathetic they never fixed it

Well it’s a process to lay this out correctly but it’s done and ready for the grinder. Holes are off from a minimum of .100 up to .115.

Not a lot of grinding but something that shouldn’t have to be done. I sent more pictures to Edelbrock.
This had to be done on both sides? How did you ensure that the new hole pattern on one side would allow the holes/ports on the other side to center up on the other head? The two heads are fixed in space, and you are moving features on the intake that need to be specifically located relative to each other fore and aft on each side of the intake. It looks like you are counting on the common port walls on both sides of the intake to line up with the heads? Not criticizing, just curious?

This had to be done on both sides? How did you ensure that the new hole pattern on one side would allow the holes/ports on the other side to center up on the other head? The two heads are fixed in space, and you are moving features on the intake that need to be specifically located relative to each other fore and aft on each side of the intake. It looks like you are counting on the common port walls on both sides of the intake to line up with the heads? Not criticizing, just curious?

Luckily I have used these gaskets so many times I kinda know horizontally where the gaskets should be. Same with the heads and intakes. I will also be test fitting the intake on my flowbench when I flow both heads. The Victor340 especially after being ported is very easy to check port alignment on bu looking down the plenum. Another option once he gets it home and is test fitting things on an engine stand is dowel pins could be drilling to assist alignment. But yes both sides need corrected.

Ok when I left off I had one sides holes opened up approximately .115 and gasket port matched on one side. Last night I bolted the intake to the head and the ports lined up great. So today I opened up the holes on the other side and gasket matched the ports on that side. The I attacked that ugly plenum lip and started doing some rough in work.

3F617EF2-A2ED-4963-9D30-DF3219B217A5.jpeg

2617B620-55B5-435E-8153-60AD79F52C31.jpeg

60E0B30E-AF20-41CC-964F-CA93C7B701E5.jpeg

89DAC778-47C3-4011-B921-2CB879304E53.jpeg

696F09E8-A06D-4FB3-BF95-E5B86685F1E8.jpeg

1205ADAF-597E-4417-BB57-F57CB471647C.jpeg

57F162D4-6638-449E-BB65-B5FD833283B4.jpeg

-
Back