New water pump rubbing

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
The 74 Scamp came with a "new" (rebuilt) NAPA water pump. The whatever the intermediate plate is called has a gasket between it and the pump, and seems to fit proper and flat. The impeller is VERY close to the plate and rubs. Bear in mind this is squeezing it together by hand, so even if the gasket was compressed and it cleared, it would be by only "a few thousancs."

I'm thinking of "gently" bending the individual impeller vanes up a bit.

Bear in mind the pump came with the car--in the trunk, so there's no taking that back

Anybody?

Yep, you were smart to check. I have installed several China Made water pumps and had to trim/ grind the impeller for clearance. I still used them after the trimming and they worked fine. Most stuff is the same now, just re-boxed and we are charged more on who's box it is in. I'm for America First please...

The 74 Scamp came with a "new" (rebuilt) NAPA water pump. The whatever the intermediate plate is called has a gasket between it and the pump, and seems to fit proper and flat. The impeller is VERY close to the plate and rubs. Bear in mind this is squeezing it together by hand, so even if the gasket was compressed and it cleared, it would be by only "a few thousancs."

I'm thinking of "gently" bending the individual impeller vanes up a bit.

Bear in mind the pump came with the car--in the trunk, so there's no taking that back

Anybody?
Try it. Bend 'em or file them down a bit.

Meh. Send it. It'll trim itself.

-
Back