New Waterpump Hardware slightly Different_Plymouth Duster 360

-
Reaction score
Hey All. I'm replacing the water pump in my Plymouth Duster 360 and I ordered new hardware from Classic Industries. I attached a link to the bolts I bought below.

When comparing the new bolts to the ones, I realized that two of the new ones are a 1/4" longer but all the rest are identical to the originals.

Attached is a photo. I don't want to put those two in a spot where that extra 1/4" will crack anything. The length of the two new long ones is 5 1/2" where as all four of the old long ones measure 5 1/4".

Two loose washers were also included with the new bolts. They do not account for a full 1/4" tho, and was confused why there wasn't washers for each bolt.

Let me know if anyone has thoughts on if I can use this hardware or not and thanks!

Product Link; https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1975/plymouth/duster/parts/mm8276.html

Jim

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 5.10.55 PM.png

The P/S bracket requires the 1/4 inch longer bolts.
The other side gets the shorter ones.
When no P/S pump is on the engine, all 4 bolts are the same. Do not install the longer bolts on the P/S side without the triangular bracket as they will drive into the cylinder and crack it!
You were right and smart, to ask.

The P/S bracket requires the 1/4 inch longer bolts.
The other side gets the shorter ones.
When no P/S pump is on the engine, all 4 bolts are the same. Do not install the longer bolts on the P/S side without the triangular bracket as they will drive into the cylinder and crack it!
You were right and smart, to ask.
Thank you so much! I wonder maybe the previous owner didn't have power steering and then when he put on the power steering pump he just used the original shorter bolts.

Hey I have a second question. Obviously the coolant has been drained but there is still a little coolant in the backs of the holes that go into the water jacket. Will this effect the RTV on those threads?

Honestly, I don't know. I've have had no luck sticking RTV to a moist surface. But I don't use RTV for this job. I have an ancient nearly used up can of Indian Head Gasket Shellac that I've been saving from the 70s, just for these jobs.

BTW, those spacer-washers would be just about right to compensate for the missing P/S bracket, so that is likely why they came in the kit.
Whatever you do; on the driver's side, do not plow too-long bolts into the cylinder walls!

Use Thread Sealant instead of RTV. It's made for wet holes and never completely hardens to keep it sealed.,, White stuff in a tube or pot.

I like the chop stick routine!

-
Back