New Wheels and Tires for '72 Valiant!

-

Hyper72Valiant

Reaction score
Anybody know what range of tires and rims I can fit on my car? Will be 5 x 4.5 BP, Front 11" Disks, Rear 10" Drums on a 8 3/4, offset shackles and hangers. Thanks

....Bump, I was just curious before but I really need to know what I can fit? I will probably get some new leaf springs as well, stock height ones. Do you guys think that I can fit 245/60/15's on the back? What do you think on the front, possibly 205-215/60/15's? Please give me your input guys. If anybody also feels compelled, what rims would look sweet on my '72 Valiant?

Here a few pics of the '72 Valiant if you want to check her out!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2204703

I'm not sure what size, but I'm sure you'll be able to put some preatty big ones on there. Someone who knows from experience needs to chime in now..

i have 235/60/15 on the rear and 205/60/15 on the front. no issues with either besides that the rear tires rubbed a little because the bushings are shot and it allows my rear to move around a bit.

So I should be able to fit 235-60-15's on mine too right 74 Valiant? I dug into the wheel and tire threads....but I guess I was unsure which Mopars compared to mine so that I would know how big of rim/tire I could fit? I did find one thread on a '73 Valiant 4 door which can't be too different if at all. The people that replied stated to fit 235-60-15 or 245-60-15 in the rear, he would need a 15X7 w/4.25 or 4.5" backspacing....can I assume that this applies to me as well? If it does work with my '72 Valiant, then I am off to get quotes on tires and rims!!! Woohoo, if not, someone please chime in and help me out, I need to get my car looking hot for summer! I will probably go with 205-60-15's in the front, what size rim for those though? As you can tell, I am not expert with this tire and rim stuff... Thanks in advance.

yeah that will work for ya. i do have aftermarket wheels i got from the jy so the backspace isnt stock. prob. 4.25.. and for the front, just use the same wheel size, and it should fit

Hey guys, it's been a while...but my engine just got Dyno'd: 408 Stroker ~452 HP & 475 ft/lbs. of Torque at 5000 RPM's! Will the 235-245/60/15's still be adequate or am I just going to spin wherever I go with those? I will be putting in Frame Connectors and Torque Boxes to handle the power, but what do you guys think on tires? I have a guy that can install the spring relocation kit for me, so, that will get me some more room. I don't plan on slicks, this is mostly a street car.

Here's the Dyno Run if you wanna take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Wl2evuTSc

If your stuck on not doing a mini-tub, you might check into some Cal-tracs. I think you might have a traction problem!n

Ya, I don't really want to do any tubbing because I want to be able to use my rear seat. Won't putting the leafs to the frame get me enough meat?

Ya, I don't really want to do any tubbing because I want to be able to use my rear seat. Won't putting the leafs to the frame get me enough meat?

A mini-tub will not effect your back seat at all. There are guys who run very fast on a 10.5 tire. Your suspension needs to be dialed in and everything needs to work together. You can do little things like relocate the battery, etc.

I'm going through a similar situation only in reverse. I am getting my Dart ready now for a 408 next winter. It's been mini-tubbed with the springs relocated, and has welded in sub frame connectors. I plan on running a 325/50/15 tire with Cal-Tracs after I get the brakes and suspension all sorted out.

Shoot, if it doesn't affect my rear seat than I guess a mini tub is possible. wWll I might need to get a hold of somebody that can do a mini tub, I already know of a guy that can do the relocation and if he can do that than he shouldn't have a problem doing a relocation kit, connectors and torque boxes....from what it sounds like if I don't get some pretty big meats my car is just going to peel out everywhere :) Man, this is just digging a deep hole in my wallet but it will be awesome!

Well, after a little hiatus and much advice from you guys and others, I am getting a mini-tub, relocating the springs and beefing up the frame with a few things I ordered from UScartool. How big of a tire can I fit in a '72 Valiant with a mini tub and the springs moved to the frame? Anyone know or have an estimate?

Well, I have ordered my Weld Racing Pro Star rims and BFG Radial T/A, they should be here shortly. Rear: 15x10 6.5 B.S. w/ 275/60/15. Can't remember the front's but they are enough :)

-
Back