New wheels

-

Tuckerjr

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting some new wheels and tires for my 74 Dart Sport for Christmas. I found some 17" 04 Mustang Bullitt wheels locally with almost new tires. They are asking $375. My question is will the rims fit on my Dart Sport. I'm specifically worried about the front. The rear is an 8 3/4 from a 69 Belvedere. These rims should be 17" x 8" with 5.72" backspacing I believe. I know there is already a thread on this but after reading through it I am more confused than before.
So, will they fit? And is $375 a good deal?

I would be more concerned about the bolt pattern. I believe the mustang rims are in milameters.
Yes they will fit,but are not the correct 4.5" pattern.
Put some 15" Mopar steelies on that bad boy !!

I would be more concerned about the bolt pattern. I believe the mustang rims are in milameters.
Put some 15" Mopar steelies on that bad boy !!

A Body people use these Bullets all day long, backspacing makes it harder or easier, yet they work

I've got the rear spacers you're gonna need to run 245/45 tires. PM me if you end up needing them. They're about $60 + shipping on ebay. I messed up and ordered 2 pair instead of just 2 so these are band new. $60 shipped.

I would be more concerned about the bolt pattern. I believe the mustang rims are in milometers.

This is not true.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]FORD[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]MUSTANG GT (OPT.), COBRA[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]1997 >[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Metric: 5 X 114.3
Standard: 5 X 4.5
[/FONT]
4.5" = 114.3mm

I've got the rear spacers you're gonna need to run 245/45 tires. PM me if you end up needing them. They're about $60 + shipping on ebay. I messed up and ordered 2 pair instead of just 2 so these are band new. $60 shipped.

He's got a B body rear end, no need for spacers. Wheels should fit fine once the center registers are matched up.

I stand corrected..4.5 does equal 114.3
Seems the back spacing of the Mustang wheels will be the issue.
Good luck !

The mustang rims are not metric, they are unbelievably 4.5 bolt pattern ( in a metric world. ) the center register needs to be opened up so the hub will fit inside the wheel. It's not a lot of cutting, and your local machine show can probably do 4 for about $50. The plastic center caps can't be used in the front because the mopar bearing dust cover is too tall, but reilly motorsports sells center caps that will fit. I see a few guys are using wheels spacers, whether that'll be the case with your B body rear is where you need to concentrate your research.

Well if you are going to ask this question, you came to the right place at the right time. I had the same question, and thanks to people like Paul V, Abodyjoe, and Wracker, the mystery of this whole thing is really being hammered out into a solid science. These fella have listed a smörgåsbordnine of different applications that can be used with these wheels. I know it's sometime confusing, " nobody has as much trouble following directions as I do." But, it's gotten to the point were not only can you find out how to get these wheels to work for you, but how these guys upgraded their own works of art.
So as it stands, you can probably bolt these right to your car with a little careful tinkering, but you don't have to reinvest later should you want to reinstall the Abody rear with a inboard spring kit, or do a brake upgrade. These are the guys you want to be talking to, good luck, I'm sure it'll be awesome. As one of the guys says, " Steel it like you own it." or something like that.

As stated above (and based on all of the research I did) you won't need spacers for the rear. The B-body rear ends are ~1.5" wider (per side) than the A-body rear ends. Stock backspacing on a lot of 7" wide Mopar wheels is 4"-4.25". Adding the 1.5" width of the rear equates to about 5.75" of backspacing, and these wheels have 5.72" of backspacing.

You should be set out back.

You may need a 1/4"-1/2" spacer in the front to clear the tie-rod ends and to reduce interference when turning the wheels. May not be needed with disk brakes (wider track width than drum brakes) but I am not 100% sure on this.

-Mike

-
Back