New Whipper Snapper

-

classicfan1

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Stephen and I'm from Ohio. I'm 19 and currently going to college, so I didn't quite grow up with the a-bodies - we had two two k-car derivatives and then a first-gen Stratus. Not theres anything wrong with those of course. Anyway, I've been buying and selling classic car parts since 2009 and how I fell into that is kind of a long story. IT's beena fun and rewarding side job, and I recently have fallen into a stash of a-body Chrysler parts. A local junkyard crushed back on Jan. 26 and I had the chance to strip the four classics lined up for the crusher (a '72 Montego GT, '54 Chevy Bel-Air, '64 Chevy Bel-Air, and a ''84-'85 Charger 2.2). I got to three of them, unfortunately due to lack of time, a 1984-'85 Charger 2.2 with a lot of good stuff left went bye-bye. At least I got the nose off it and it's hanging in my garage as wall art. I like to bring these parts to collectors and car guys here on forums, I'm not much of an eBay (feepay) fan. The best part is when a buyer sends me a picture of the car they are working on, not sure why but it is.

Welcome Stephen! Glad to hear about your business. Hope you have fun playing with us here!

Glenn

Yea, its nice to be able to have fun and earn money for a future university transfer at the same time. Sadly, another job and full time class in the summer means my time is quite limited in the spring and fall. I bought those "saved" parts in January and classes come first, so it slowly moved out. Now that summer is here, I'm able rotate the inventory a bit (much to my dad's delight!)

Which reminds me, the fellow I'm getting the parts from has a 3-speed TorqueFlite push-button transmission out of a 1963 Valiant he had a long time ago. I don't know where I would store a trans but he is trying to sell it and avoid scrapping it. Is there even a market for that? I mean, the car was a Slant 6 and those engines are very common (but reliable!).

I met this fellow through the community wide yard sale day a couple weeks ago. An old man passed away and his kids were going through his barn/garage and had a bunch of stuff out. This was at the end of the day, my dad and brother had already given up, yet this is why I'm a persistint little bugger. Most of it I don't deal in, but I gave them my number and what I buy. About an hour later, I got a call from a guy who just found three guage clusters, a Slant 6 oil pan, some Dart Swinger emblems, and some other "junk". So I check it out, and he was desperate to sell. I don't take advantage of people, I paid him fair for the stuff at a price he was thrilled to get and at a price I could still make a nice profit. Our mothers taught us "You get more bees with honey than vinegar" I was hoping by being up front him, that he might not scrap anything else and call me first. It worked. He has been cleaning up his place and just scrapped a mess of hub caps before he met me, and the other day I came in with a '63 Valiant grille, wiper motor, starter, radio, the valve cover off the same Slant 6, '70 Nova grille, a big box of hubcaps, and some parts for a long gone (sadly) 1964 Impala SS convertible.

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story...we all have different ways we came to this site but we all have the same love for Mopars...make yourself at home and any help you need, just ask.

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story...we all have different ways we came to this site but we all have the same love for Mopars...make yourself at home and any help you need, just ask.

Oh indeed! I probably enjoy Mopars more than any other brand, but I also have a bit of Ford blue in my blood (Hey, Lee Iacocca gave us the Mustang and the K-Car right?). I also have a soft spot for K-Cars as well, IMO any 90s-current Mopar owes it's very existince to those little cars. My favorite Mopars would probably be the Roadrunner, Rampage and Scamp, Challenger and 'Cuda, Charger, Dart (older the better!), Fury, and any of the 80's Shelby cars. That list may be subject to change depending on what kind of mood I'm in. The only Mopars I don't care for are the 80s Mitsubishi Colts and the Eagles.

I did have the honor to photograph and document an older Mopar, though its not an a-body, it was a 1960 Pioneer wagon. It was rusted out, stripped of everything. All that remained was a shell and some trim. I photographed the vin, got all the remaining trim pieces, and the rest was history. It was a beautiful car when it was new. I sold the 1/4 panel emblems, but the rest of the trim I still have and refuse to throw out. A handful of those cars are left and the moment I pitch those trim pieces, is the moment somebody will need them.

In the meantime, I restore a variety of things as a hobby as well. Old bicycles, radios, vintage toys, small appliances, etc. Perhaps I'll post some photos in the off-topic areas. I find it funny that before we had the shows "American Pickers" and "American Restoration", what I was doing was a bit odd, and now everyone is trying their hand at it. Speaking of which, I'm off to the hardware store and then to ship out some '54 Chevy parts.

Welcome from North Carolina and enjoy FABO, the best site on the web. Very cool that you have been into the parts business for awhile.

-
Back