New wires and distributor... no start

-

blackhand

Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing an MSD Digital 6AL, blaster 2 coil, new MSD wires, and a new Mopar adjustable distributor. Just put the new distributor in and I can't get the car to fire up.

So far I've installed the new wires and started the car up to make sure they were good. Car ran great so I shut it down in order to move on to the distributor. Pulled the old distributor and installed the new one making sure that the rotor was pointed in the right direction. Put the wires on the cap and tried to start it up. Engine cranks fine but won't fire.

At this point I've triple-checked the wires to make sure the firing order is correct, and put the #1 piston at TDC to make sure the rotor is not 180 off (it's correctly pointed a hair past the #1 terminal at TDC). Still cranks but won't fire.

This morning I put the old distributor and cap back in and now they won't fire either. The old distributor cap and rotor worked fine with the new MSD wires before I pulled it. Checked the firing order and rotor direction just like I did with the new distributor and still cranks but won't fire.

It's odd that the old distributor worked before but now it won't fire either. WTH could be wrong with this thing? Any ideas?

may have shorted something and burned the ballast during r and r. Check for power both sides of ballast with key on.

Update:

Thought the coil may have gone bad, it's about 100 years old and looks like hell. Pulled the old coil and installed the new one. Went to start car and all I got was a click. That could only mean one thing: dead battery. It's four years old and definitely ready for a replacement.

Pulled the battery and it's on the charger now. Once it's charged up I'll head back down and try again.

-
Back