newb carb/intake question?

-

MI_Mopar

Reaction score
So here are a few pics of the carb/intake that i got to put on the dart. this is my very first experience with any older cars and carbs and what not. so i need u guys to walk me through hookin this stuff back up. im not real sure what goes where...i know sounds stupid. I do have few issues though. I was going to put the orig. EGR valve back on but it kind of hits the linkages so what should i do with that..delete plate? also the rubber hose line on the left side of the pics, where does that go? should the gas line be solid metal...or what should i use to hook that up. can i use the orig. throttle cable with this set up? i have a lokar kickdown linkage that i just picked up and the linkage that is suggested to come with it. what should i do when i go to start everything up for the first time? pour gas in the carb? any suggestions would be appreciated. btw its a performer intake a 4bbl 600cfm carb on a 318 and everything else is stock. also someone told me that some of the stuff on this carb i could take off that it was just there for emmisions, true? if so what is it?

carb 001.jpg

carb 002.jpg

carb 003.jpg

carb 004.jpg

carb 005.jpg

carb 006.jpg

that carb is off i'll bet a c-60 or c-70 chevy 5 ton truck with a 366cuin or 427

I would block off all vac. lines put the breather on and use starting fluid, if you put too much gas down it and it backfires you could have a problem, that way you would know it works before you hook it all up.

Also I would clean it up real good before I install it. If it smells like lacquer you need to rebuild it first.

The OE, EGR valve can be blocked off by tapping the holes for bolts. A block off plate can also be done, you'll just need a EGR gasket. There a very high temp material, so regular gasket material won't cut it.
OR a 1/4 inch or so
(Might need a 1/2 spacer. It's hard to get a size inbetween a 1/4 and a 1/2.)
spacer under the carb to run the valve, which will not hurt wide open throttle performance since it (The EGR valve) is only open when vacuum is present and closes when theres no vacuum, as in wide open throttle.

The rubber hose. Is it at the rear/lower/passenger side of the carb?
Then it is a vacuum hose for power brakes. You can cap it or hook it up to a breather.

The gas line should be metal as far as you can run it. Rubber isn't so bad but will rot after some time and need replacement. Better off with the metal line in the long run.

I'm not sure about the OE throttle cable. I know you'll need an adapter from Holley too fit on the carb for it's use. I run the lokar cables on my carb. (Same as yours)

When you go to start up everything for the first time, will this be on a fresh engine?
IF not, just a small dribble down the carb once is the max you'll need and the fuel pump will fill up the bowls right quick.

also someone told me that some of the stuff on this carb i could take off that it was just there for emmisions, true? if so what is it?

No exactly true.

The carb I believe you have has 3 vacuum ports. The rear one mentioned above for power brakes or breather. I like to hook up breathers to help the crankcase stay clean.

2. A timed vacuum port for the carb. and 3. a full time vacuum port to run acc. items, like later MoPars use vacuum to help run the heater or older ones for headlite doors.

I'm not diggin that carb. Its old and crusty and as said looks like the ones I've seen on dump trucks. It has a different throttle lever than an aftermarket Holley and may be more difficult to hook up to a Mopar cable. I'd ditch it for a Holley 1850 600cfm or a 600 Edelbrock with electric chokes. Just my opinion.

Or at least rebuild the one you have first.

Also do you have the correct 4 barrel throttle cable bracket? The 2 barrel one will have to be modified to line up correctly.

The small rubber hose goes to the small brass fitting on the right front of the carb coming from the metering block. I believe thats your vacuum advance hose. You'll need a hose fitting to install in the rear intake runner where that plug is for your power brakes. An there should be a 3/8 vacuum port for you pcv hose in the rear of the carb. And there may be a small vac hose going in to the firewall for your heater controls if the car was equipped with ac.

You might want to hook up a manual choke cable too.

yeah i have come to that conclusion as well. i have started looking and u can get them fairly inexpensive. plus it will match my intake!

When you get ready to put gas down her this is what i do pour it down the vent tube to fill the tank up remove the site plug from the side of the tank as soon as it starts to flow out stop install the site plug than your good to go.pouring down the carb is to riskey.

-
Back