Newbie carb 1945 rebuild questions

-

Mako21

Reaction score
Hello all. First time rebuild on my bone stock slant six with a Holley 1945. A couple of questions If you could help. I have watched the Chrysler video and others but I’d like some clarification.

1. Set the float heights with gasket on, or without?

2. Is the primary jet on a stock Holley 1945 60#(HOLLEY#122-60)

3. What do I put in to replace the “Power valve”? Looks a lot like a jet but with a spring under it. What is a replacement number for it?

4. Use blue thread locker on the needle and seat?

5. My carb didn’t have the ball bearing fall out when I turned it upside down. Where does it go? (One came with the rebuild kit I got from Mikes Carburetor parts)? If someone could put a red dot on where it goes in the picture I’ve attached I’d appreciate it. So many holes!

Thanks.

D5E007AE-C0CE-4313-B46D-8CE186E45134.jpeg

The best running 1945 I've ever had, I had to put together from 2 or 3 different salvage 1945s. The next best one I gave the throttle body to a buddy of mine back when he worked in the tool room at a factory, he reamed out the casting and rebushed the throttle shaft on it. On my current /6 a replaced the 1945 with a BBD and matching manifold

Pump well fills from top no check ball at bottom, discharge has check ball under brass wieght.

full page.jpg

Thats early 1945 before the changes to carb around 1977. Jet number need carb number

Thanks for the bulletins I will print them for referencing.

My 1945 is stamped
And on the edge side
6R-51476

From my research I purchased the carb kit corresponding with the second number 7356.

I Haven’t been able to figure out what size jet and where to get the primary valve. Any ideas?

I just rewatched the Chrysler training video on the 1945. It is the “Power valve”. Comes up at 6minutes 40 seconds in the video. Looks a little like a jet but with a spring under it.

My rebuild kit didn’t include a jet or power valve.

The Chrysler repair kit part number for your carburetor is # 4049170. There are some on eBay, if you would like to see the parts included in the kit.

Ok I don't have time to watch it now but if it's what I think you mean (it's been a few years since I was inside one of those) then no, those don't come with the kit, usually nothing to go wrong with them to necessitate replacement. Other than falling off the bench and retreating to never never land.

4006602 chrysler number 7356 holley number. 1976 chrysler A body 225 eng standard trans federal emissions main jet holley number22r-120-621, thats close limit main jet for emissions. as a real world jet it is a 62 jet.

Huh the 1st 1945 that I ever messed with was a 76 225/stick... In my brother's feather duster that was originally supposed to be MY first car.... But my brother wrecked his 74 charger and needed a car for work like the next day... So dad relented and gave it to him instead of holding it til I finished driver's ed, like was originally promised.....

Do not use threadlocker on the inlet needle-seat.

Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but it looks to me like the brass weight is still in the carb body in the picture posted by Mako21. I seem to have lost the check ball brass weight from my Holley 1945 this last weekend as well.

I rebuilt my carb this weekend, and didn't realize I had lost the brass weight until after I had started the Dart and set idle. It actually ran better than it has since I bought the car. Then I pulled the distributor to replace the vacuum advance solenoid. Got that back together an installed and it started right up, set timing and it ran great. Drove it a few miles with no issues. Then last night I noticed a little ball bearing on the garage floor. I knew the carb kit had one in it, but there are usually parts in carb kits that aren't used on a particular vintage, so I didn't worry about it.

Well, I never did find the brass weight. I am also having trouble finding a replacement online. I did find some dimensions online, so I will likely try making a replacement. Googling around, I saw in another forum where they were saying that if you don't install the ball and weight, that the accelerator pump won't work. Well, it obviously works without it as I was driving around without it. Anyone have a little more knowledge than I on the actual operation of the check ball that can make sense of what occurs without these parts? Any ideas on where to purchase replacements? Can I replace the ball/weight combo with the conical shaped weight style? They seem to be more readily available.

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but it looks to me like the brass weight is still in the carb body in the picture posted by Mako21. I seem to have lost the check ball brass weight from my Holley 1945 this last weekend as well.

I rebuilt my carb this weekend, and didn't realize I had lost the brass weight until after I had started the Dart and set idle. It actually ran better than it has since I bought the car. Then I pulled the distributor to replace the vacuum advance solenoid. Got that back together an installed and it started right up, set timing and it ran great. Drove it a few miles with no issues. Then last night I noticed a little ball bearing on the garage floor. I knew the carb kit had one in it, but there are usually parts in carb kits that aren't used on a particular vintage, so I didn't worry about it.

Well, I never did find the brass weight. I am also having trouble finding a replacement online. I did find some dimensions online, so I will likely try making a replacement. Googling around, I saw in another forum where they were saying that if you don't install the ball and weight, that the accelerator pump won't work. Well, it obviously works without it as I was driving around without it. Anyone have a little more knowledge than I on the actual operation of the check ball that can make sense of what occurs without these parts? Any ideas on where to purchase replacements? Can I replace the ball/weight combo with the conical shaped weight style? They seem to be more readily available.
Holley 1940 Check Weight & Check Ball - Mikes Carburetor Parts Holley part number for pump discharge weight 40R-493. Used in small carbs 1940 1945 1946 1949 etc.

This was to stop fuel flow from venturi vacuum, in effect you have two main jets. Use flashight and face shield look down carb for gas from pump discharge , at different engine speeds.

5/32 just does fit will need the corners ground down rounded off 0.02 . buy cheap one not hardened. next size down too loose 9/64

Those black floats often soak up gas, which makes them heavy and results in higher fuel level which means rich carb. There are new brass and plastic floats available

-
Back