Newbie from NY

-

kargyrl93

Youngin' Yet
Reaction score
Let me take this thread to say hello to all the FABO members!

I've heard of this site from a few members so I thought I would take the time to introduce myself in the "Welcome Wagon"...

My name is Karli. Feel free to use my first name simply because I've seen it's easier to remember someone's first name as oppose to trying to spell out screen names over and over, hoping to get it right one of these times!

But y'all can call me either one you see fit since my real name is quite the trip to get anyone to spell the right way (friends and family have done it for years) but any screen name abbreviations will work too.

I've heard about the site through a near & dear friend of mine... He's been a FABO member for longer than I've known him. Great person, though!

Some of you may already know me through posts on here.

But I figured I'd take the liberty of signing up to give you the opportunity to actually know who I am while taking the opportunity to be able to get to know the members I've heard good stories about!

All in all, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the site and what it has to offer.
:D

Welcome to the site Karli !!! So nice to have you as a member. :thumleft:
It's great that you learned about the site from a great member of the "For A,B,E, etc. bodies only" family. :D

Welcome to the site! Glad to have you. Do you own an a body? If you then :worthles:

Welcome to the site! Glad to have you. Do you own an a body?

I don't but I know of a few people on here that own them and I've been watching the plans come into thought and hoping to be able to see the work unfold.

The vehicle I have at the moment is just an 'ol '03 Dodge Dakota, manual everything.

Has some work to be done to her. The former owner (my close friend's mother) slid on black ice and hit the front driver side last winter. Her son parked it, which I'm thinking that it was parked shortly after everything was replaced: shocks, struts, rotors, pads, tires, etc. Suspension's handling like a champ going down the road.

But, I've parked it until the damage can be fixed. Front headlight is shattered, grill/grill cover is completely unsavable, front fender has to me taken off, new radiator is in the works as well, and much more!

Damned thing broke down on me heading home about a week ago, give or take a day... Was pushing her a bit to get up a small hill, went to check my mirrors to see behind me, looked down at my temperature gauge just in time to see it go from all the way cold straight to hot without any hesitation at all...

I swear, I would've missed it if I blinked.

Looked up from the gauge to realize that I could not see! The whole front of the truck was engulfed in smoke all the way around. Threw my 4-ways on, mad as hell of course, slammed the driver side door, walked around to the other side to grab a cigarette before I blew up, slammed that door, cussed up a storm and had a friend tow it home for me.

I wanted to walk out the door with the baseball bat in hand to finish it off and to put the truck out of it's misery. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I will fix this truck and beat it into submission and have her running by the end of summer. (Inspection runs out in October, really don't have much of a choice do I? Lol)

But it's a determination I've set to get her up and running with the help of a great friend along the way...

*Cough Cough*
(Insert name here)

Thanks for the welcome! :)

What part of New York? It's a big place. I'm out east-ish on the Island.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome from little Nova Scotia...

Your story reminds me of the day I was doing some spirited driving and my hood latch let go...all I saw was the hood coming at me as it bent to conform to my windshield/hood...it was aluminum too..got the car stopped and no one was hurt...

That truck would make an excellent tow vehicle to bring home an A body with :)

Grassy

Welcome from little Nova Scotia...

Your story reminds me of the day I was doing some spirited driving and my hood latch let go...all I saw was the hood coming at me as it bent to conform to my windshield/hood...it was aluminum too..got the car stopped and no one was hurt...

That truck would make an excellent tow vehicle to bring home an A body with :)

Grassy

Thanks! :) Well, now that my bumper, bumper cover, grill & grill cover are off my truck, I don't think the 'ol girl is exactly road ready at the moment. Lol...

Best to keep it in the yard where I don't have to worry about not being able to see through my windshield again...

But she'll get fixed... I can't stand being forced to sit on my dead *** and do nothing because I have a hellbent truck! Lol

I'll put up pics shortly!

Thanks again! :)

Welcome aboard, Karli:cheers:
Glad to have you here,
C

This truck went through hell and back before it was in my possession!

My closest friend's brother, Ricky didn't want to put the effort into fixing it. He was constantly working all the time 45 minutes away, 10-12 hour shifts, mainly overnights... And felt no desire to fix it, but buy new and ready to drive.

His mother, Joann had drove it through the winter. It was about the biggest snowstorm we encountered last Winter, and she slid on a patch of black ice and ran into a guardrail on the driver side. The damage was scary enough for her to even say to park it and not worry about it! She wanted to scrap it...

So, long story short (too late), the truck is now mine to fix & doll up and bring back to life to use as a daily driver.

It's a 2003 Dodge Dakota SXT, V6, 3.9L, 4x4, regular 6 1/2 ft. cab, manual seats, doors, windows, locks, etc. No cruise control, no nothing... Completely stripped out!

Almost 140,000 miles on it when I got it. Not quite sure what the MPG is off the top of my head. I do know it's not where it should be for combined highway/city driving. But what do you expect with that many miles on it? Lol

Downside? She pulls to the right just enough to piss me off when I'm driving down the road and I have to keep my steering wheel turned to the left on a straight road to prevent heading off into a ditch and totaling what's left of the truck! Lol... Easy enough fix though.

Seeing that it's going to need a tune up. Might... might see an extra 1-1.5 MPG increase after. (Wishful thinking)

The damage was taken directly into the driver side headlight, shattering it all over the pavement.

Bumper & grill are just completely out of the question on trying to fix!

The bumper had to be cut out of the tire for it to be drove home seeing that it was folded right in when we got it.

Grill was almost embedded in the radiator.

Radiator's got a leak in it somewhere (needs replaced)

Front driver side fender's pushed up and shoved back into the door so when you open the door, it squeaks something fierce! Lol

From what I was told, it received new shocks, struts, rotors, pads, breaks all around. But it looked like it was highly neglected when it came up to doing an oil change. The oil in the poor thing was as dark as what was poured in new!

Which is a duh simply because it was 3,000 miles overdue for it's services! (not my fault, I swear!)

Plenty to keep busy with fixing on this truck

And much more that escapes my mind at the moment!

Pics below are taken before the sh*t got ripped off, so now my hood is allowed to fly up on me if for some dumb *** reason I decide to take it on the road. Not happening, however

Pretty bad when I had only put 50+ miles on it before I had to park it until it was fixed due to what I said in an earlier post about the temperature gauge...
:wack:
Lucky me!

Attachments

• Driver Side View.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 206
  • Passenger Side View.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 201
  • Front View.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 187
-
Back