Newbie here - 1st generation Barracuda

-

SIlverGraphite

Reaction score
Mornin' all,

Newbie here. I'm thinking about rescuing a first gen Barracuda. Right now, it's wasting away with no motor. Haven't seen the car up close yet, but the guy wants $1250 for it. Body looks "fair" - doesn't seem to be a lot of rust from what I can see in the photos (paint is pretty crap though). Glass seems to be present.

I grew up on late 60s Aussie Valiants (couple of VCs and a VF), so I'm pretty familiar with the basics but have some questions.

First would $1250 be reasonable for an engine-less body in fair shape?
What to watch out for? I assume the US A-bodies are prone to rust in similar places to the Aussies? (quarter panels, floors, spare wheel well, bottom of doors) What about other places?

Engines? I think the first gen Barracudas came with a 225 Slant 6(?) but I assume it's no trouble to drop any of the early LA motors into it?

Trannies? Back in Australia years ago, it was fairly common and easy to mount up a 5 speed floor shift (Celica boxes were the most common). Does anyone make hardware to do something similar over here?

Brakes? There's gotta be options for disc brakes? What about other handling improvements?

Parts/sheet metal in general? There was a decent aftermarket for replacement parts for the old Vals in Australia when I left there - you could get new sections for the rust prone areas and you could still get rubber stuff like engine mounts and spring bushes, and some electrical new from the dealer. How hard to get parts over here?

Ok, that's a big enough can of worms for starters :)

Thanks all! (and if I've run afoul of any newbie-traps, thread rules etc please accept my apologies)

$1250 sounds high if all you are getting is good sheet metal, glass, and trim. Early-A's don't command a lot. Rust is the main thing, and the places you mentioned are the problem areas. Our cars are better than Rustangs though, and most NorCal cars are solid, unless from the mountains. Once you get it, treat the problem areas from the inside so it doesn't rust through.

V-8's started in 1964 and were probably more common in Barracudas. The K-frame is the same, but the steering link in V-8 cars dropped ~2" vs ~1" in slant six cars. Grab some photos here, because distinguishing is subtle. V-8's also had a cable throttle instead of a rotating rod (at least in 64, maybe 65), though 66 slants had a cable I think. The fender tag should tell, so have the web info at hand that shows how to read it.

Desireable options are (in order):
4 spd manual tranny
8.25" or 8.75" rear-end, double for "Sure-Grip"
4 bbl Commando "Hi-Po" engine. I know it has no engine, but those cars had a different rear valance (see AllPar site).
"Rally" dash, with tachometer.
Bucket Seats w/ floor shifter
GT trim package

Don't believe stories that the rear glass costs $2500. Maybe $100 used.

First off, welcome to FABO.

First would $1250 be reasonable for an engine-less body in fair shape?

Not a bad price, if it's clean. I gave $1800 for mine as a rolling chassis V8, 4-speed car, aluminum slots with brand new tires and some other parts that I was able to sell to get the price back down; however, it was extremely clean back then. That was before I parked it outside over grass for a year. These models don't demand a lot of money, but I have a soft spot for them.

What to watch out for? I assume the US A-bodies are prone to rust in similar places to the Aussies? (quarter panels, floors, spare wheel well, bottom of doors) What about other places?

Those are the typical rust areas.

Engines? I think the first gen Barracudas came with a 225 Slant 6(?) but I assume it's no trouble to drop any of the early LA motors into it?

Some came with 273ci V8. The throttle assemblies are different between the /6 and V8 versions.

Trannies? Back in Australia years ago, it was fairly common and easy to mount up a 5 speed floor shift (Celica boxes were the most common). Does anyone make hardware to do something similar over here?

You have many transmission options: 904 and 727 automatics, 3-speeds, 833 4-speeds (ball and trunion or later model), numerous 5-speed options, and even T-56 6-speeds depending on what parts you have available and how much you want to spend.

Brakes? There's gotta be options for disc brakes? What about other handling improvements?

You have many options for disk brakes as well: KH disk brakes, 73 and later single piston disk brakes, and numerous aftermarket options. I went with the 73 and later single piston version as there are many donor cars out there.

Parts/sheet metal in general? There was a decent aftermarket for replacement parts for the old Vals in Australia when I left there - you could get new sections for the rust prone areas and you could still get rubber stuff like engine mounts and spring bushes, and some electrical new from the dealer. How hard to get parts over here?

Not bad, there are a few companies still making parts for them. Plus, you are on the best site for people sharing information on building these vehicles.

Once again, welcome to FABO.

-
Back