newbie question /6 to 340 Demon

-

stokey04964

Reaction score
Well my car arrives this weekend. I will post pictures next week. I found a complete 340 that I pick up on Saturday and drop off at the Machine shop in one even flow. I guess my question is what all is really needed to switch over the /6 3 speed to a 340 4 speed. I know it a lot to ask but has there been another thread on this. Any help you guys could give is great. Many thanks

I do beileve you can use "Trans-Dapt" swap mounts for this swap. That'll mount the engine in.
Re-use the trans crossmember for the tranny.
Shorten driveshaft. Measure with all 4 wheels on the ground. From U-joint flange at the rear to the flat of the tannys tail. The driveshaft shop may have slightly different measureing points, contact them first.
The linkages for the manual operation of the clutch may be swaped over. This I am unclear on, but, good news is, all the correct parts are available.

You'll probably want a new radiator for best cooling and a proper shroud, all available new from resto houses.
In addition, a 8-1/4 rear would be wise if you plan on any power pumping engine abilties.

Yeah i ordered the mounts from Schumacher Creative Services. They will be here soon. I also started looking into the Doug's Headers and the Tech people told me to get part #D453. From what I've read this is the best header for this car as some I've read scrap?? Does that sound right?? I've also noticed some talk about the steering Column, does this need to be changed? Everything else on this car Is in really great shape. 71k on the body and frame. Was my great grandparents car and has been sitting for about 20+. Looking forward to this. Should be pretty interesting. I will post my photos when it gets here from SC.. Thanks for your help. Any advise you guys want to offer is greatly appreciated..

I've only read very good things about Doug's headers, though not everyones opinion is of greatness or perfection. Then again, no header company will have this rep no matter who or what they do. It's just the nature of people to ***** and moan about the slightest issue.

I also never heard anything about a steering colum change out or issue for that matter. I can see where if it is out of the car for header installing purposes being a huge help. The column comes out very very quick and easy. Makes for alot of room.

-
Back