Newbie - seeking advice

-

notpaul

Reaction score
Hello!

I just bought a 1976 Duster that is going to be a bit of a project for my daughter & I. (She loves muscle cars ... and will be getting her license in a year. My plan is to let her work off the cost of the car both with cash and sweat - helping me do a few upgrades.)

I don't want to do anything too crazy or expensive ... but would like to do some modest performance upgrades to engine, suspension, etc.

Everything is in good running shape, but is all basically stock.

What I was thinking -

- update & upgrade ignition
- new intake & carb
- new exhaust (from headers to mufflers)
- sway bars front & back

I'm thinking those things should all make good weekend projects for us. I am looking for advice on specific recommended parts as well as general thoughts on what components give you the most bang for the buck.

I would like the car to be functional as a more or less daily driver, but still be fun and have moderately good performance. (Having a nice rev sound would be fun, too!)

Perhaps there are some genera guides people could point me to?

I am moderately adept with repairs & upgrades - but this is my first Mopar experience.

Thanks in advance!

- notpaul

Sounds like a nice father daughter project.... WELCOME!

But we need some more details on the car to really give your some suggestions... 76 Duster.... engine? brakes? trans? rear end? pics always get the board interested as well.

you will find a ton of help here and a ton of info if your use the search buttons and other forums....

Good Luck with it!

Welcome to FABO. Nice to see you getting your daughter into the hobby.

Assuming that you have a V-8 engine, here's what I recommend:

1. Have a nice dual exhaust with 2 1/4" pipes and good turbo mufflers (I like dynomax - they sound good and are not too expensive).

2. The stock electronic ignition is good if it is in good shape.

3. Install a good dual plane intake manifold (an Edelbrock LD4B for a 318 or a LD340 for a 340/360 engine or a Wiand dual plane).

4. Then install a good 4 bbl carb with ELECTRIC CHOKE. (Holley list # 80457 or Edelbrock 625 with electric choke - Available at Mancini Racing for about $280 last time I bought one).

For the electric choke on the carb, make sure to hook up the + side to a good 12 volt source. Disconnect the wires going to the ballast resistor and use a test light. Connect the clamp end of the test light to the battery - and then turn the ignition to the on position. Then poke the ballast wires to see which one lights up, that is the one you want to connect to. If you go to NAPA, they have a nice "piggyback" flat connector that you can use to connect the wire to the ballast resistor without "compromising" your existing wiring. You can always remove it also without any traces if you decide to later.

I ran a 68 Barracuda in Detroit everyday including winter with a electroinc ignition, electric choke 4 bbl, and dual exhaust. With the electric choke, I could go out on a 20° F day, pump the gas twice, start the engine, and put it in drive after the oil pressure came up and drive away without any stumble. Very reliable for daily driver.

Dual exhaust is important for efficiency and performance. The stock single exhaust is very restrictive and this will give the most bang for the buck improvement.

I would not put headers on that car unless they are from TTI's or Dougs,but they are
expensive ,been there done that. Everything that krazycuda says is spot on.

Darryl

Here's a link for Mancini Racing.

http://www.manciniracing.com/

Here is a link for the carburetors:

Edelbrock 1406

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/edelbrock.html

Holley 80457 - 600 cfm with electronic choke calibrated for late 60's v-8:

I recommend the 80457 over the 1850 as it is like the generic 1850 600 cfm vacuum seconday, but comes eith the electric choke and better calibration.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/hotrstca.html

Also consider a complete teardown sealed power gasket kit. It will work out much cheaper than trying to buy the individual gaskets seperately and you will have some left over for "later" workings. Make sure you tell them that you are converting to a 4 bbl so they give you the kit with the correct gaskets. Look at the Sealed Power kits.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/enteargasset.html

I also recommend changing the timing chain. The stock timing chains suck! go with this Edelbrock true roller double roller. I've run them for over 250 k miles with no problem. I once replaced a stock 318 timing chain with a double roller chain on an engine with 84,000 miles and gained 2 MPG for the increased efficiency as the stock chain was pretty much stretched and had a couple teeth chipped on the plastic gears. I once changed one on an engine with 125,000 and it was still in great shape with barely any stretch, I changed it with a new one as I had already bought it and spent the time to tear the engine apart, so for the $60 I may as well have changed it.... Mancini also sells these in their own packaging for a little less price.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/edelbrock4.html

Welcome! You have come to a great site! Great people, great information! Good luck with your project!

For a daily driver might suggest going thru the front end. Would not bother just replacing what is worn. Front end parts at your local NAPA are very affordable so would suggest replacing it all. While you are at it if it does not have disc brakes n the front would be an ideal time. Don't just concentrate on making it go. If I had a daughter that was going to be driving one of these old clunkers I would want her to have as good of brakes as possible....and at the very least if the front end is tight it will not be as spooky to drive for a first timer.

If you get with trailbeast. He can get you a complete HEI ignition setup for a cheap price. Helps fuel mileage a bit and performance. There's quite a few people on here using it. MSD style ignition is also an option. Sounds like you have all your ducks in a row for the most part though! Keep us updated with some photos

Woo hooo, I love reading about father/daughter projects!!! Welcome aboard to the both of you ... I'll be following your build with interest. Post up some pics when you get the chance, and don't be shy about hitting me up if you decide to doll anything up while you're in there -- I'm a very vigorous supporter of Young Guns and Young Huns everywhere. :-D

Thanks for everything so far!

Yes, it is a /6 ... I did make the assumption that most people on this board would be discussing that ... sorry for assuming! :)

I will definitely post some pics as soon as I can. The car actually arrives on the trailer tomorrow, and I need to go over the details before making any firm decisions on what to tackle first. Since daughter won't even have her temps for a year, I have plenty of time to make sure the car is safe & ready-to-go (brakes, etc.).

But I will say that my youngest is no 'princess' ... she wants a bad-*** car. Trying to fulfill the wish without being completely ridiculous! (I'm still a dad ...)

Welcome!!!! Please upgrade the brakes first!!!! That's precious cargo there my friend! Safety First!!! Then all the fun stuff. Good luck with the project. These guy's on here will give you all the advice you can handle. Then it's up to you! Have fun with it! And please for the love of all the MOPAR GODS looking down on us post some pics of the process!!!

Bad *** 76 Duster ?
Mild 360
Ede 650
Ede RPM
TTI Headers
Mopar Performance Electronic Ign
Trans Go shift kit
3:23 Sure Grip...Best all around gear
15" Steelies
BFG's all around
Plymouth Division dog dishes
I know it's got a /6 but you said Bad *** right ?

consider putting a turbo on the /6. They're folk's on here that's done it and they are small block eater's not to mention sleeper's! They'll never see her coming! LOL.

Here are a few pics ... we *just* pulled it into the drive, and it is still raining. More photos later ...

(She is stoked!)

Attachments

• duster-01.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 195
  • duster-02.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 186
  • duster-03.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 187
  • duster-04.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 217
  • duster-05.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 222
Wowwww, and here I was expecting a "project" ... I'd be proud to own and drive that just as it is. Congrats!!!

Okay - first question(s):

I want to tackle front brakes first, and while I'm at it, minor suspension & front-end stuff.

1) I want to change over the front to disc. Nothing high-performance or overly pricey. Is there a kit that is recommended? (I see several places, such as Summit, that offer complete kits.) Since the car has stock drums, any special tips or extra items I need to be aware of when making the change?

2) I figure I may as well do shocks while I'm doing the brakes ... again, recommendations for something "better than stock" but not crazy?

3) I want to put sway bars on front & back. Will I run into any challenges installing them? (Ex: am I going to have to do any mods in order to do the mounting?)

Oh, and I may need to do the clutch, also ... trying to decide of I want to tackle that at the same time.

Thanks for the input and encouragement!

it's got a clutch - so she doesn;t need a bunch of power to have "fun"...lol. If it was me I'd just make sure the brakes and suspension are mechanically sound, upgrade the ignition, and add a single exhaust pipe and muffler. I don;t think I'd go further until she's got some seat time with it and keeps the tickets off her record. Just me - but I was a teenager and know what I did. If the car was more capable - I pushed it to it's limits. Best keeping it a wallowing, underpowered, brake fading mess until she get's some seat time.

-
Back