Newby needing opinions on roof color choice,,,PICS,,

-

Eat My Dust-er

Reaction score
First, I'm new here so be gentle with the initiations :lol: I've been working on my '72 Duster all winter and finally got the body work done, got it painted, painted engine bay, pressure cleaned, painted, and installed motor, installed exhaust, etc.... and was wondering what EVERYONES opinion was on a roof color choice (WHITE or BLACK). The car was originally gold with a white vinyl top but as you can see by the pics it is in fact Plum Crazy Purple now and still sporting the factory white vinyl top. The interior is white and black (white seats and door panels, black carpet and dash) so I could go either way on the roof color choice. I need to decide soon so I can order my side stripes. With a BLACK roof I'll go with BLACK stripes, With a WHITE top I'll go with white stripes. P.S.,,,I also have chrome Crager wheels w/ white letter tires that still need to be installed, and if I decide to go with the Black top, I also have a go-wing and dual snorkel scoop to go on. I'm also considering with a white top, just leaving the black steel wheels and white letter tires on it and put on white stripes. Any and ALL opinions are welcome.

MVC-067S.JPG

MVC-068S.JPG

MVC-069S.JPG

MVC-070S.JPG

MVC-080S.JPG

You've been quite busy - project looks great, very motivating. Welcome aboard.

1 vote for white top and white stripes with the white letter tires, chrome wheels.

Yes my neighbor has a plum crazy Duster with White top, White stripes , white seats, but he has white wall tires (gross)!!! If not for the tires it would look sweet... I am surprised to see you just painted up to the top.... Is that what you did????

Thanks Guys :blob: Painted up to the top?? I'm sorry I don't quite understand what your talking about :-|

Eat My Dust-er said:
Thanks Guys :blob: Painted up to the top?? I'm sorry I don't quite understand what your talking about :-|

sleeperscamp is wondering why you didn't remove the vinyl top & paint under it. Always a good idea. You never know what your going to find hiding under the vinyl.

Call me crazy (you wouldn't be the first), but I think you could mix it up - white top & black stripes, black hood & wing. :toothy5:

Do what you think looks good!

dazedduster said:
I second it think it will look better matching the seats.
I third it!! :blob: That is a nice ride and looks like you are doing a great job .
Welcome to this great site.

Looks like a nice looking ride... I vote for the white top/white seats theme. But either way you go with it will look great.

White top,white stripe.

Wheels:The chrome cragers will look good.So will some powder coated gloss black steel wheels (dog dish caps,or no caps).

WOW!!! I didn't realize that many people would like white. I thought there was something wrong with me cause I liked the way the white looked but lots of people I talked to said it was to girly. I didn't take the top off because it looks fine, like no bubbling or anything. The car only has 57000 original miles and has had pretty good care. How would you put a top like that back on? Or would you have to buy a new one? Thanks to everyone and keep the votes coming.

My Duster has the white top on Lime light.. I do not care for it and would like black better... But I will probably go back with the white...You would have to buy another one.. That one would stretch when you take it off. You may be surprised what you find under it when you take it off... Hopefully not....

SleeperScamp said:
My Duster has the white top on Lime light.. I do not care for it and would like black better... But I will probably go back with the white...You would have to buy another one.. That one would stretch when you take it off. You may be surprised what you find under it when you take it off... Hopefully not....
SleeperScamp you better leave that top on! that car is very sharp plus that is a rare combo. to change it would be a sin....just my 2 cents. your car you can do what you want.

Yep leave it on. And pick up a nice elderblock 4 bl carb and intake, :blob:
Or do the next move on your nice ride. Just me :toothy7:

7demon2 said:
SleeperScamp you better leave that top on! that car is very sharp plus that is a rare combo. to change it would be a sin....just my 2 cents. your car you can do what you want.

Did not mean to hijack!!!! Yeah it is growing on me.... Different...I have never seen one like it.. And I try my best not to sin....Thanks for your $0.02!!!

I vote white top and stripes, a friend of mine had a 70 duster that way and it looked sharp with raised white letter tires and rallye wheels. I also think the black hoodscoop would look good and a cheesegrater grille would look great too, if you can find one.This is a very nice car I think your choice of color suits it well no matter what you decide on! good luck!

I think that lime green is cool with a white top. If it were mine, i'd leave it like that. Your's would look good with either white or black stripes also. I hope if I put white stripes on I don't change my mind afterwards because the stripes aren't going to be easy to re-do

-
Back