newer motor/trans

-

kgip2k

Reaction score
Ok, first off I have a 66 Barracuda and I am planning on installing a slant six out of a 1980 truck and a 904 trans out of a 1985 truck. Am I going to have any problems or will these go right in with no issues other than the carb linkage, oil pan, and maybe exhaust?

Other than the obvious like smog equipment, carb, and the assorted brackets and mounts that have to be transfered over from your '66 engine....you'll need to use the early distributor or convert the car to electronic ignition. check to see if the '80 motor has a distributor with vacuum advance as you will need one if you convert. You'll need a 3 wire neutral safety switch plug so you can splice your existing wiring into it. Use just the center wire on the 3 wire plug to attach to your single wire system. Use your existing kickdown linkage....it should swap over. Your existing exhaust pipe should bolt up the the later manifold too.

Other than the obvious like smog equipment, carb, and the assorted brackets and mounts that have to be transfered over from your '66 engine....you'll need to use the early distributor or convert the car to electronic ignition. check to see if the '80 motor has a distributor with vacuum advance as you will need one if you convert. You'll need a 3 wire neutral safety switch plug so you can splice your existing wiring into it. Use just the center wire on the 3 wire plug to attach to your single wire system. Use your existing kickdown linkage....it should swap over. Your existing exhaust pipe should bolt up the the later manifold too.

Thanks, yes distributor has vac advance and do plan on going with electronic ign., the kickdown linkage is why I am not wanting to go to cable type throttle, but carb I have now is junk, froze open and has cast mounts on it that are broken off. I am going to look and see if there is any way I can make an adapter and use the newer carb. Thanks for the tip on the nuetral safety switch

You can get the '64-6 A-body V8 acc. pedal assy. along with the '67-up slant 6 cable if you want to use the later carb.

-
Back