Newest Acquisition

-

middleagecrisis

Reaction score
I picked up an old '70 Duster race car this weekend for $2500. The intention is to pull out the motor/trans and rearend and swap into my '75 Duster (pictured). History on the car, the owner built this car in early 2000 with a .030 383 (Keith Black pistons, ported factory heads, custom ground crane hydraulic cam, Edelebrock TM6 and a 750 DaVinci carb), rebuilt 727, reverse manual valve body/3500 stall converter and a rebuilt 8 3/4 with 5.13 gears (changing these for 3.91-4.10) for an 1/8 mile car. The car made 12-15 passes and the owner started having health issues. Car sat outside, which accounts for how it looks, but he started it ~1 month, let it warm up and put the trans in gear. I've seen it run (Sounds NICE) and the motor has 80 lbs. oil pressure cold, no smoke and the trans goes into reverse and forward. Bought it with a bill of sale and don't have room, so I'll probably sell it as a roller (8.25 rearend) or include my 318/904 combo with it. Quarters are bad, but has nice floors and fenders. Is there any way to find out what this car was born with if the data plate is gone? Hopefully, the group sees more potential than my wife did, lol.

Duster_1.jpg

Engine_2.jpg

Interior_3.jpg

Interior_4.jpg

'75 Duster.jpg

Last edited:
Great score if you ask me. You got all those parts way cheaper than buying them individually. Your wife and mine just don't see things right! 65'

The vin will tell you what motor it came with.

The VIN tag is missing. Any locations on the body where there might be another VIN tag or stamping?

On top of the radiator yoke and in the seal area of the trunk are places where VINs were stamped starting in '69. Look under where the antifreeze sticker goes and under the weather stripping in the trunk opening. Those locations sort of hid the number from plain sight, even if that wasn't the intention.

I'm not sure if the whole VIN will be there. It could only be the last eight characters, which would just give you model year, assembly plant, and build sequence number. (I haven't had any Mopar from the muscle era newer than a '68 in decades). If you do find a full VIN, as said above, the fifth digit is the engine code.

B - 198
C - 225
G - 318
H - 340

On top of the radiator yoke and in the seal area of the trunk are places where VINs were stamped starting in '69. Look under where the antifreeze sticker goes and under the weather stripping in the trunk opening. Those locations sort of hid the number from plain sight, even if that wasn't the intention.

I'm not sure if the whole VIN will be there. It could only be the last eight characters, which would just give you model year, assembly plant, and build sequence number. (I haven't had any Mopar from the muscle era newer than a '68 in decades). If you do find a full VIN, as said above, the fifth digit is the engine code.

B - 198
C - 225
G - 318
H - 340
Thank you very much! I'll have to take a deeper look this evening after work.

There will not be a full VIN on the core support,
lip, and package tray (where Dusters and Demon's are)
so you are SOL on finding out what the original engine was...

-
Back