News paper box hood scoop

-

MoparDaddy

Damn Right I Carry!
Reaction score
Ok. I have seen a few of you with news paper box hood scoops. How do you mount them? Visual aid would be appreciated. I want to mount one to a single (1) 5 1/8 flange. GM TBI

The photo below has been borrowed from matthon with their permission for information purposes.

Attachments

• image-3637468865.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 407
I can only address how I mounted it to the dual quads.
· The box has 4 mounting tabs on the bottom.
· Cut the outer two tabs off, front and rear, (used many sharp razor blades) along with anything else to make the bottom flat and smooth.
· Take carb plates from a chrome scoop, (can buy separately from Summit), and cut them down to fit the bottom of the box.
· The front and rear carb plates slide under the two remaining tabs on the bottom of the box. This is important because it eliminates the need to secure the plates in the center with bolts as there is little to no room between the carbs.
· Cut holes in the box for the carbs, the rear carb comes very close to the edges of the box, be careful to keep the holes centered, (I used a razor blade).
· Apply sticky foam weather-strip to the bottom of the box around each carb hole, running it around in a circle, not in a square shape.
· Build a square tube frame for the inside of the box, at minimum tubing on both sides, the back, and across the top for the carb studs. My frame extends to the front of the box, but there are no cross pieces in the front.
· Place the tube frame into the box and the carb plates into the center tabs, and drill holes in all four corners from the bottom up through the carb plates, box, and frame.
· Weld 4 nuts on top of the holes in the frame, and secure the plates, box, and frame together with bolts, (there was an existing hole in the bottom back of the box, so I also ran a self-tapping screw up through that into the metal frame).
· Trim the excess weather-strip between the plates and the box from the outside.
· Place the box on the carbs, mark holes for the carb studs, and drill.

K&N 33-2008-1 is the air cleaner, (it was in the K&N display at the parts store and was the only one that even came close to fitting).
· Mount the air filter with the fins vertical.
· Trim both side edges, only a small amount.
· Inside the back of the air cleaner, within the first filter fins on either side, place weather-strip. This keeps the air cleaner's shape and it sealed against the sides.
· Stick weather-strip around the inside of the box so the air cleaner slides into the weather-strip, (this will be at a slight angle).
· Trim a notch into the two ridges at the bottom front of the box, for the bottom of the air cleaner to slide into.

I wrapped a piece of wire around the back of the air cleaner, ran it around the outer carb wing nut, and as I push the filter in I pull the wire out, then wrap it around the fuel line.
The reason for this is I drove away one day before it was warmed up, it backfired a little, and threw the air cleaner into the intersection.
I was going to put another piece of square tubing vertically in the front, and run a piece of threaded rod through the air cleaner to hold it on- but I did not like the nut on the front of the air cleaner. Also, with no vertical bar in front it gives more room for the air cleaner, and gives tension to the top bar when the wing nut is tightened.

To remove, unwind the wire from the fuel line, pull out the air cleaner, unscrew the two carb stud wing nuts, grab the top bar, and the whole thing comes off as one unit.
I was worried, or course, about the weather-strip falling apart, so I only trimmed it from the outside between the carb plates and the box. It has never come loose or broke apart at all.

The box provides plenty of air, never distorts in shape when the throttle is applied, or when the sun beats down on it- of course.

I don’t have any pics of it other than these:

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 221
  • scoop2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 208
  • scoop3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 234
  • scoop4.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 211
I can only address how I mounted it to the dual quads. · The box has 4 mounting tabs on the bottom. · Cut the outer two tabs off, front and rear, (used many sharp razor blades) along with anything else to make the bottom flat and smooth. · Take carb plates from a chrome scoop, (can buy separately from Summit), and cut them down to fit the bottom of the box. · The front and rear carb plates slide under the two remaining tabs on the bottom of the box. This is important because it eliminates the need to secure the plates in the center with bolts as there is little to no room between the carbs. · Cut holes in the box for the carbs, the rear carb comes very close to the edges of the box, be careful to keep the holes centered, (I used a razor blade). · Apply sticky foam weather-strip to the bottom of the box around each carb hole, running it around in a circle, not in a square shape. · Build a square tube frame for the inside of the box, at minimum tubing on both sides, the back, and across the top for the carb studs. My frame extends to the front of the box, but there are no cross pieces in the front. · Place the tube frame into the box and the carb plates into the center tabs, and drill holes in all four corners from the bottom up through the carb plates, box, and frame. · Weld 4 nuts on top of the holes in the frame, and secure the plates, box, and frame together with bolts, (there was an existing hole in the bottom back of the box, so I also ran a self-tapping screw up through that into the metal frame). · Trim the excess weather-strip between the plates and the box from the outside. · Place the box on the carbs, mark holes for the carb studs, and drill. K&N 33-2008-1 is the air cleaner, (it was in the K&N display at the parts store and was the only one that even came close to fitting). · Mount the air filter with the fins vertical. · Trim both side edges, only a small amount. · Inside the back of the air cleaner, within the first filter fins on either side, place weather-strip. This keeps the air cleaner's shape and it sealed against the sides. · Stick weather-strip around the inside of the box so the air cleaner slides into the weather-strip, (this will be at a slight angle). · Trim a notch into the two ridges at the bottom front of the box, for the bottom of the air cleaner to slide into. I wrapped a piece of wire around the back of the air cleaner, ran it around the outer carb wing nut, and as I push the filter in I pull the wire out, then wrap it around the fuel line. The reason for this is I drove away one day before it was warmed up, it backfired a little, and threw the air cleaner into the intersection. I was going to put another piece of square tubing vertically in the front, and run a piece of threaded rod through the air cleaner to hold it on- but I did not like the nut on the front of the air cleaner. Also, with no vertical bar in front it gives more room for the air cleaner, and gives tension to the top bar when the wing nut is tightened. To remove, unwind the wire from the fuel line, pull out the air cleaner, unscrew the two carb stud wing nuts, grab the top bar, and the whole thing comes off as one unit. I was worried, or course, about the weather-strip falling apart, so I only trimmed it from the outside between the carb plates and the box. It has never come loose or broke apart at all. The box provides plenty of air, never distorts in shape when the throttle is applied, or when the sun beats down on it- of course. I don’t have any pics of it other than these:
thanks matthon! I made sure to hit your "thank" button too

-
Back