next project...griddle station

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
seems like a good time to build a little station for my blackstone griddle

i bought this a few years ago and it has been sitting in a cubby on the deck long enough, i think it is time to build something a little more permanent and sturdy for it

upload_2022-5-1_22-47-55.jpeg

the idea is to build a wood frame that the griddle sits on, with a little level table area on the right hand side
remove the shelf that is there now, and remover the legs and put some door on there so i can put a little trash can under there
should be a fun project, but i an not looking forward to contouring the wood to the brick

if anyone has any suggestions i am all ears

Not terribly sure what all you plan, but be careful about building that "in" too permanent. For one, later on, parts may not be available when needed, like burners and valves, and sometimes added brickwork can screw with burner airflow.

much obliged Del, the idea is to build a wooden frame that slides into the cubby
there would be a wood "table top" on the right where the stainless shelf sits now (only a little taller, so it is level with the griddle)

then the top part (with the 4 control knobs) will simply sit on the frame and can be accessed/removed/serviced whenever

kinda like this one

traeger-ironwood-grill-table-cart.jpg

i dont intend to do any brick work, though i seriously considered taking a 4 inch diamond wheel to the existing brick work so i dont need to worry about contouring the wood
but if i were to do that, i wouldnt be able to pull the frame out and move on if i wanted

speaking of burners, its a nice little hotrod grille
i "rejetted" it when i got it a few years ago so it could be hooked up straight to the houses gas line, instead of needing to haul tanks around

i got some J shaped burners on order to create a slightly more hotter and even cook top

LOL I almost suggested that if it's LP you look into NG conversion

LOL I almost suggested that if it's LP you look into NG conversion
NG conversion is what started this whole deal

ive always been a charcoal guy (still am, really, i keep a small portable charcoal grill in the boat, and one in the dirtbike trailer)

about 5 years ago we bought this house and the deck had that little cubby in it, clearly for a grill with a gas hook up right there
i knew i wasnt going to put a gas grill in there, because if your using a gas grill you might as well toss it in the oven

i dont recall where i came across the griddle but i thought that would be perfect, so much more versatile then a grill, so i picked one of them up

of course back then there werent any "off the shelf" conversion kits available
(now you can buy em with different orifices and its a simple swap deal)
but back then i had to do my research and simply redrilled the existing jets to the apropriate size for gas, works like a charm

anyway, this is as far as i got yesterday

upload_2022-5-3_9-9-18.jpeg

it took me forever to get this silly thing level
i cut all 4 uprights the same size,but the deck isnt exactly level, so i had to cut 1/4 and 1/2 and inch from the two front ones to get her level, front to back and then another 1/2 from the two right hand leg to get her level side to side

im thinking that was the hardest part
now i got to build a little frame on the right to use as a cabinet and a shelf and tie it all together
of course, its raining so i wont be working on it at all today

Now is that wood just to "jig" it up? I'm wondering, if permanent, if the wood is safe on the bottom there (distance to combustibles and all that) Also thinking, say, of a dripping grease fire

that would will be the frame that holds it up, but im not really pleased with it
im not sure if im going to follow through with it or re-asses the situation

i may try to level out the origenal stainless steel frame and maybe build a wooden front on it
i dont know

im not expecting any issue with dripping grease, this is a flat top grille and i welded up the grease drain a few years ago (which will need to be redone anyway)

-
Back