NGC or GPEC2?

-
No venom, honest question. Do you understand how the CanBus networks function in newer cars?
In general yes....but there are multiple different communication lines in different manufactures like for example serial data, can low, can high, Lin bus, Most, etc but you get the point. I have diagnosed many communication problems over the years and some are much easier than others.

In general yes....but there are multiple different communication lines in different manufactures like for example serial data, can low, can high, Lin bus, Most, etc but you get the point. I have diagnosed many communication problems over the years and some are much easier than others.

Ok, just checking.

Ok, just checking.
That is why I said your in over your head because I have learned over the years and also been involved with other peoples deals but it is very hard to trick a system without there being side effects that people didn't realize it would affect.

That is why I said your in over your head because I have learned over the years and also been involved with other peoples deals but it is very hard to trick a system without there being side effects that people didn't realize it would affect.

Gotcha. My thought wasn't to trick the system, only to give it what it needs without having to use all the other stuff. But it does feed into my comment that "I don't know what I don't know" and the possibility that I am missing something. Never going to say I know it all.

This is exactly why I gave you the suggestion to run the A/C, old school style. You do realize, that besides the logic and inputs a PCM uses, all it does, ultimately, is ground the coil side of a relay to turn on the compressor? That is what an LSD (low-side driver) does. On an old school sytem, you can wire a switch on the dash, to do exactly that. Sure it wont be as efficient, but it will be far easier to work with, if you dont plan on using everything.To have the PCM run it requires more than you think. It can be done pretty easily by those who know and understand the operation of all the inputs (and outputs) used; but why ask all this or any of it for that matter, if you have a donor vehicle, from which to pull the entire system from and graft it in? There is no need to reinvent the wheel here,if you want the PCM to run everything, then just install the whole works. You don't have to worry about the anti theft system, if you use a PCM from a truck that was not equipped with one, which also points to my suggestion of NGC (as the easiest to locate). . Your dissertation on using the BUS showed you have at least some understanding of the theory behind it. Most of us that responded, probably understand bus communications well beyond that, which led us here to begin with.

Last edited:
This is exactly why I gave you the suggestion to run the A/C, old school style. You do realize, that besides the logic and inputs a PCM uses, all it does, ultimately, is ground the coil side of a relay to turn on the compressor? That is what an LSD (low-side driver) does. On an old school sytem, you can wire a switch on the dash, to do exactly that. Sure it wont be as efficient, but it will be far easier to work with, if you dont plan on using everything.To have the PCM run it requires more than you think. It can be done pretty easily by those who know and understand the operation of all the inputs (and outputs) used; but why ask all this or any of it for that matter, if you have a donor vehicle, from which to pull the entire system from and graft it in? There is no need to reinvent the wheel here,if you want the PCM to run everything, then just install the whole works. You don't have to worry about the anti theft system, if you use a PCM from a truck that was not equipped with one, which also points to my suggestion of NGC (as the easiest to locate). . Your dissertation on using the BUS showed you have at least some understanding of the theory behind it. Most of us that responded, probably understand bus communications well beyond that, which led us here to begin with.

Not sure how I gave you the impression I have a donor rig, all I have is a short block with heads.

I’m fairly familiar with the JTEC controller due to planning to do a Magnum swap. Built my harness and had plans for using the BCM (drawing a blank on the real name) to run the built in security. Guess it was just a learning experience.

See, you missed it. The point was that I hit a switch on the dash and the PCM turns the clutch on and off as needed, just like it would in the 2010 Ram. Far as the motor/PCM/AC is concerned it is still in a truck.

Not sure how I gave you the impression I have a donor rig, all I have is a short block with heads.

I’m fairly familiar with the JTEC controller due to planning to do a Magnum swap. Built my harness and had plans for using the BCM (drawing a blank on the real name) to run the built in security. Guess it was just a learning experience.

Guess I incorrectly assumed by your statement above, you had a donor.

Guess I incorrectly assumed by your statement above, you had a donor.

Sorry, just an example. A “what-if”. If I go down the road of an OEM harness like I was doing with my Magnum swap, and it is an NGC setup, 2010 is the year I keep defaulting too when I look for parts.

To be clear, the talk about AC and all is just for future projects. I am trying to limit projects to stuff I can get done in a winter so getting the motor in is enough without trying to complicate things with AC. Worse yet, I want a 6M bad and if I use the Holley mounts it means I need to do them at the same time since the bell housing flange moves with those. So there is enough to do without adding more.

I’m only looking trying to make sure I don’t cut myself off from potentials mods in the future.

Finally (mostly) past the 5.9 swap into my Dakota and sold the harness and JTEC I built to do a Magnum EFI swap so started working on the PDC for my G3 swap. Discovered a couple of things in regards to the differences between an NGC and GPEC2 controller and thought I would post them here in case it helps anyone else.

The NGC controller does not have a radiator fan control function, much like the AC control mentioned earlier. The fan and AC are controlled by another module connected to the front PDC. So, the control of the fan will need to be done via a separate module much like AC will.

In comparison, the GPEC2 does control the fan to a degree. It has a control circuit, but in an LX/LC car, the non-HC models have a low and high speed fan and the function of turning those on and off is controlled separately. So a GPEC2 controller could turn a single radiator fan on and off, but if you wanted to run the OEM dual fan setup, it would require a separate controller.

Sure wish I could have gotten the pro's and con's of each controller instead of "run along little boy, you don't belong here". Guess sometimes you get what you get. Hope someone get's some useful info from this thread because I didn't.

-
Back