Nick’s Garage 426 build

-
505hp/556tq...I would expect it could make more, but they don't really give any specs besides 10.2:1 compression. I love watching nicks garage though, they have cool stuff goin on.

Nice small block by Nick’s Garage in Montreal.

I saw that episode just a little while ago, and that oil pressure loss would have me a bit concerned.
Was it just sucking up all the available oil?
Was the windage that bad in the pan?
Was it really just the bypass opening as the other guy said?

Never seen a bypass opening cause a sudden drop like that, and I would have to get to the bottom of that if it was my motor.

I saw that episode just a little while ago, and that oil pressure loss would have me a bit concerned.
Was it just sucking up all the available oil?
Was the windage that bad in the pan?
Was it really just the bypass opening as the other guy said?

Never seen a bypass opening cause a sudden drop like that, and I would have to get to the bottom of that if it was my motor.

Just watched this last night, seems like a very poorly matched combo based on their comments "near 600hp, 600 hp+ etc..."
I'm betting those heads are Hughes BM's and Nick should have put one on his flowbench instead of relying on the 320+cfm claims-he wouldn't have been scratching his head as much. Still though it should have made more power than that. Even the torque is not all that great considering the cubes.

As far as the oiling goes, I doubt it was a bypass opening. It could be a case of real excessive windage in which case you would remove some oil not add it. I mean it's not like this is a real high winding engine, peak @ 5700-5800 ? I would pull the pan and inspect if it were my build. I think you would find something.

Either way it's a LONG ways to 600 HP in a small block on pump gas and a dual plane manifold with a hyd roller. J.Rob

No mention of portflow or cam specs that I recall.
I cant see a motor that only revs to 5800 making 600hp unless it has massive cubes.
Nicks Garage is always a bit vague on tech stuff.

To attain 600hp, this motor needs bigger heads- more flow. A little more cam and compression wouldn't hurt. I question the choice of intake. Nick did the best he could with customer's combo which is a fine street motor. When chasing a HP number we should consult a pro and not just pick parts out of a catalogue.

To attain 600hp, this motor needs bigger heads- more flow. A little more cam and compression wouldn't hurt. I question the choice of intake. Nick did the best he could with customer's combo which is a fine street motor. When chasing a HP number we should consult a pro and not just pick parts out of a catalogue.

I watched and paused the video several times and it must have a big enough cam with only 12" vac @ almost 1400 rpm. Also it idles quite rough but that is hard to tell accurately from a video. Nick should have been really direct with the customer and told him no way no how is that combo you brought me going to make anywhere near 600 hp. Nick is clearly perplexed as to why the low power results and I had to laugh when a 1" spacer was tried. Like that's gonna do anything. J.Rob

Customer supplied everything... sounds like a Hughes head cam package if you read the YouTube comments.

Sounds like a Hughes everything package, has Hughes rockers, probably the Hughes 426 kit, Hughes cam, Hughes cnc heads

Nick was smart enough to know it would never make 600hp even before he put it together.

505hp is a looooooooooooooong ways from 600hp.
Especially when you already supposedly bought the “good” stuff.

Be interesting to know what the cam is.

Something is wrong with the head flow number or the cam...I would expect 505hp out of a 426 small block with cleaned up factory heads.

I just watched it.
Certainly “sounds” like it has plenty of cam to make over 505hp.

IMO.......... that build rates a solid “eh” in the hp dept.

I would expect 505hp out of a 426 small block with cleaned up factory heads.

Me too........ especially with a cam that sounds as big as that one.

Last edited:
my guess is the heads dont flow enough to support the cam by the way it drops off at 5800.

my guess is the heads dont flow enough to support the cam by the way it drops off at 5800.

Unfortunately....... for the “viewers”, this is a case of not enough information.
If they had the air turbine installed and made a pull to say, 6200....... and then showed the dyno sheet...... and you could see the air flow numbers....... at least then you could see if there are any issues with the airflow through the motor....... like a loss of valvetrain control.

I just ordered a Lunati VooDoo 268/276 - .494/513 and associated parts for my 340 with mildly ported J heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, Dougs headers and 2500 stall, Should make at least 650 H.P.! All kidding aside I like Nick a lot he seems like a strait forward guy. He just put the motor together with customer parts and already new it wasn't going to make the H.P. goals the customer was looking for but I think he is going to talk the owner into what he needs. More on the 340 to come, lets see!

Jeff

For sure, those guys do a nice job with those videos.

And I agree........ customer drops off a pile of parts, you put it all together...... it makes what it makes.

-
Back