Nitrous....how much is filling a bottle?

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

always wondered how much it is to fill a 10 Lb bottle in U.S.? I like Nitrous, my brother is using it with good results....but fill up mentioned 10 Lb. bottle is around 120 Dollar over here.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Not sure, right now. A couple of years, ago, it was $3.00/lb to fill a 10 pounder. Then we had a shortage, and prices went crazy. I think things are back to normal, now. I fill my own 10 lb bottles, from a "mother" bottle, and the last large bottle, I bought, cost about $2.00/lb.

Big bucks, in Ca.... 6- 7 bucks a pound, local.... It's been a while, I miss N2O...

I just checked, local retail fill, and it is $5.00-$6.00 per lb.
My cost for a 64 lb tank is $160, or $2.50/lb
I have an account to purchase "mother" tanks, but suppliers in my area, are not accepting new accounts for nitrous, so I guess, there is still somewhat of a supply problem.

I heard one of the large nitrous manufacturing plants caught fire and caused the shortage. Whatever nitrous could be produced was going to medical use. My neighbor ended up selling his stuff off and went turbo due to the high prices.

The plant is supposed to be rebuilt and up and running which is why the prices have gone down. But, they know people will pay the high prices so it may never go as cheap as it used to be.

thanks guys for the information, now i have an idea about the real cost....maybe i should invest in a filling station ;-)

Michael

You don't need a filling station. Just a "mother" bottle (siphon type), a good scale, and a freezer. Freeze the small bottle, have the large bottle between 70f and 95 f degrees, connect the two bottles together, with a line, and use the pressure differential, to transfer the nitrous. Word of warning, Do not overfill, or you have a potential bomb. You need head space, in the bottle.

Adding to my previous post:
I weighed my empty bottles and marked the empty weight on the bottle. I make sure to not go over 10 lbs plus the empty weight. For a freezer, a chest type works best. I store all 8 of my 10 pounders in it at all times, unless I'm at the track.

-
Back