Nitrous on a 318.....how much will it take

-
In the early 1990's , I raced a 1973 duster. Used 318 lower end, with 340 heads, Edelbroch LD340 intake and (I don't remember which purple camshaft. It ran 13.08 et. At the end of a year , I put a cheater system on it, with the larger jets. I think it was a 250 shot. I hit it right from the start, all 3 gears. It picked up to 11.52 ets. I ran the nitrous for about 5 weeks, then took it back off, since it was the end of the season. No roll bar back then.

Use a drive shaft loop,the best u joints.Go for it. hooks up the more chance for damage.Slicks,drag radials next.Good luck sounds like FUN.

Thanks everyone. The Satellite ran 12.75 on a 150 shot, which exceeded my expectations radically. Didn't have any trouble at all getting it stopped. Had 275/60 Mt ET Pro radials on it and didn't have any problem hooking it.

You can check it out at the 5:57 mark in this video.

Had a blast on Drag Week. Building it more/better for next year. Sticking with a 318 and spray for the combination. Putting a converter, good axles 3.55 gear in it. Might change the cam also.

72 Satellite eh? Make sure it's pointed straight down the track, and has lots of shut-down area. Easy 350/400/450 HP, enough to break everything factory behind it when it hits, and to get you more speed than the factory suspension,steering,tires or brakes, can handle .
On the flipside, this is a great way to get a well-sorted 318 streeter into the low 13s.
What's that B weigh? maybe 3800 race weight? well just 380 would get you a P/W of 10/1 and that goes 107/108 which is 12.4 in a SuperStock chassis. Add about .5 for a street chassis and another .5 for a lousy 60ft, so that totals 13.4.
But that's with a NA engine for starters. The boosted engine is gonna make a lot more average power, so if you can get the power on early, you might be tickling 12s. Make sure the rest of the car is up to it.

-
Back