Nitrous on a 340 100 shot

-
0A0F9585-24AB-4F02-AAC0-7893C965F527.png

And here is that plug. Fuel ring is dark base of the porcelin. You can see it with a plug reading magnifying glass but I’ve always found it easier to cut the plug. They’re cheap, engines are not.

I'll get the angle grinder out tomorrow and see what i can do.
I've never even seen that done brother what do you think, a thin metal cut off blade? I wonder if adrenal would Define cut off wheel would be better so it generates less heat than the angle grinder, ? Therefore not adding the heat discoloration so it affects your reading or does that even matter? I ain't trying to get in the middle of your business I'm just trying to learn what I can off this in Greater detail!

I've never even seen that done brother what do you think, a thin metal cut off blade? I wonder if adrenal would Define cut off wheel would be better so it generates less heat than the angle grinder, ? Therefore not adding the heat discoloration so it affects your reading or does that even matter? I ain't trying to get in the middle of your business I'm just trying to learn what I can off this in Greater detail!
I'll just use a thin cutting disc and slowly go around the perimeter till I'm through. Shouldn't get too hot doing that

I'll just use a thin cutting disc and slowly go around the perimeter till I'm through. Shouldn't get too hot doing that
Yep, As long as you're not really pushing that wheel through that metal, it should keep it cooler, I wonder if you're able to put a little water on it, ( like fer glass tile and stone) to preserve the Integrity, or is liquid going to make it worse? or am I Really over-analyzing something ?

The plug won’t change color from the heat of a cutting wheel. It sees 1200 degrees plus in the chamber and you arnt going to get there with a cutting disk.

The plug won’t change color from the heat of a cutting wheel. It sees 1200 degrees plus in the chamber and you arnt going to get there with a cutting disk.
Thank You! I don't know much about reading plugs. However when I pulled my 340 out of the 66 satellite (points distributor) I switched the electronic when I shoved it in my duster same transmission same gear then when I pulled one out they were all kind of nasty black looking rich. Then again A friend of mine adjusted it till it ran the sending unit was clogged it was an old fuel tank I put in a new fuel tank new sending unit new fuel lines and didn't reset the carburetor adjustments that's probably what happened. Anyhow, Back to the Nitrous!

What kind of requirements do you think are needed to build a motor for a hundred shot? Other than all the standard upgrades, I just happened to go with Forged Slugs and ARP rod bolts rods.

What kind of requirements do you think are needed to build a motor for a hundred shot? Other than all the standard upgrades, I just happened to go with Forged Slugs and ARP rod bolts rods.
nothing
other then the safteys no gas no juice etc

Almost anything will live at 100 hp of nitrous if the tune up is good. If I was specifically building one for nitrous it would get forged pistons, arp hardware, and good head gaskets at a minimum. And a little ring gap.

Sorry guys I had to edit two of my posts above because I said “center electrode” when I meant “ground strap”. Not sure why I couldn’t type what I meant to say. Brain fart.

Sorry guys I had to edit two of my posts above because I said “center electrode” when I meant “ground strap”. Not sure why I couldn’t type what I meant to say. Brain fart.
Here is a pic of the spark plug with the threads removed. Unfortunately the parts store here won't have a set of colder plugs for me till Tuesday apparently.

20230331_142506.jpg

Here is a pic of the spark plug with the threads removed. Unfortunately the parts store here won't have a set of colder plugs for me till Tuesday apparently.

View attachment 1716071212
That tune is nice. It is ever so slightly rich but I’d call it safe and happy. I wouldnt change too much, especially if you’re going to continue nitrous use. It’s nice to see someone actually take the time and effort to check his work. Now once the timing is squared away you’ll know you have a healthy tune up.

What induction system is on this engine? Intake? Carb? EFI?

That tune is nice. It is ever so slightly rich but I’d call it safe and happy. I wouldnt change too much, especially if you’re going to continue nitrous use. It’s nice to see someone actually take the time and effort to check his work. Now once the timing is squared away you’ll know you have a healthy tune up.
Thanks and I appreciate all the help and advice, thats for sure. I'll re post the results of my next nitrous hit with 1 degree less timing and colder plugs, hopefully it will be just about perfect then!

If it’s port EFI you don’t need to worry too much about distribution but if it’s carbureted you might want to cut 7 more plugs and have a look. The tune up is that close.

-
Back