Nitrous on a 340 100 shot

-
Heat range will be correct when two-three threads around the base are darkened. Timing will be about perfect when the light coloration on the ground strap just about reaches the base.

F529418D-8F1D-4F92-9CAF-8D4AF12DFB04.png

Here is cylinder #1 spark plug. 2 pics of it with the gravel in the background

And 2 pics of cylinder #3 with brown tarp as background

And 1 close up of cyl#1 is that detonation on the porcelain?

20230330_184825.jpg

20230330_184818.jpg

20230330_184929.jpg

20230330_184926.jpg

Screenshot_20230330_185606_Gallery.jpg

Hard to tell on a screen. Get a magnifying glass and look at it. Your tune up is close. Looking at that plug I’d pull one degree of timing and use one heat range colder and re test. And at that point in your fueling I’d be cutting a plug to look at the fuel ring. Nice work.

It’s hard to tell but is the end of the ground electrode sharp and square? Or is it just starting to nip the end of it?
Referencing your last pic above

It’s hard to tell but is the end of the ground electrode sharp and square? Or is it just starting to nip the end of it?
Referencing your last pic above
It's square not sharp. I just zoomed in from one of the first pics. What do you mean "starting to nip the end"?

When the timing is close to the ragged edge, the first thing to show signs of it, is the ground strap. It will melt back the end of the tip.

Last edited:
EC6098B1-C87B-4BA7-AE64-B488E2C9A0AC.png

Not a good pic but you get the idea. This is case of too much timing and heat in the ground strap.

Last edited:

It's square not sharp. I just zoomed in from one of the first pics. What do you mean "starting to nip the end"?
This has been a pretty educational post thank you all guys for sharing everything y'all have I built my 340 to spray 100 shot on also. Just had health issues get in the way. I've only had one other vehicle with nitrous it was 2100 lb but I didn't set up the spray kit on it

If it’s square then it’s sharp. :lol:
Compare it to a new plug and give your opinion.
Looks square and sharp to me, compared to a plug before running nitrous and looks the same. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on my plugs as I continue to use nitrous. Seems like the best way to ensure engine is ok. Thanks

Screenshot_20230330_193659_Gallery.jpg

Looks square and sharp to me, compared to a plug before running nitrous and looks the same. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on my plugs as I continue to use nitrous. Seems like the best way to ensure engine is ok. Thanks

View attachment 1716070959
I ain't trying to be a pain in the *** but the inquisitive Carpenter in me wants to know if that's Square from top to bottom or Square from the long side across the short side or does he mean everything involved?

When the timing is close to the ragged edge, the first thing to show signs of it, is the electrode. It will melt back the end of the tip.
I will dial it back another degree of timing and try a colder plug aswell and see if the results change much. Right now I'm at 33* and my best tune was 35* so I may be a little to high. Just didn't want to loose much power when NA but I suppose that's the tradeoff.

I will dial it back another degree of timing and try a colder plug aswell and see if the results change much. Right now I'm at 33* and my best tune was 35* so I may be a little to high. Just didn't want to loose much power when NA but I suppose that's the tradeoff.
I agree with the fact you want to keep it Full Throttle without the bottle! But the beauty of that is you still got the bottle!

View attachment 1716070959
Square with sharp corners is good. My advice is above a few posts back. If you were nipping the end of the electrode I’d say pull 3 degrees out of it. But I’d need to see where your fuel is at to know for sure. Youve got a little tune up work left to do. And you’re correct the best (ONLY) way to know what is going on in the chamber is by reading the plug.

If you get an ignition controller that yanks the timing only when the n2o is activated you can have your cake and eat it too.

Sounds like I need to buy a book with super large glossy color pictures and get my eyeglasses out and perfect the art of reading plugs just for the heck of it
Not just for the heck of it. You’ll learn a bunch and you junk will never run better.

Square with sharp corners is good. My advice is above a few posts back. If you were nipping the end of the electrode I’d say pull 3 degrees out of it. But I’d need to see where your fuel is at to know for sure. You e got a little tune up work left to do. And you’re correct the best (ONLY) way to know what is going on in the chamber is by reading the plplug
I'll do another pull or 2 soon with 32* timing instead of 33 and let everyone know the results. For anyone wondering the engine combo it's a 340 bored 30 over with 10.5:1 , j heads, air gap intake, procomp xe268 cam, 780 holley, Doug's headers, msd ignition. Nothing crazy but a fun street car. Thanks again to all the helpful advice.

If you get an ignition controller that yanks the timing only when the n2o is activated you can have your cake and eat it too.
I've considered it for sure. But already bought the msd6a so just waiting for enough funds to rebuy a digital 6plus if loss of power really bothers me haha.

Here is a video I made of how I cut plugs in my redneck lathe. AKA drill press.

-
Back