NJ Reg & Insp Question

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Please excuse this, other N.E.'rs. In NJ, the MVC site doesn't seem too clear on this: What's the difference between historic and collectors registration? What's better for a limited use street-strip car? Does the car still need all equipment for the model year? (Mine's a 74.) I.E. wipers, defroster, emissions controls (even if the car wouldn't pass the sniff test)? Do you need to have a full exhaust? Header mufflers or b4 the axle dumps ok? I plan on using collectors insurance. I know they check the odo to see if it works. Do you still need to go the inspection place every 2 years?

go with the historic tags. collector was originally for cars not old enough for historic tags.

with historic tags you have no inspection at all. and just a one time registration fee of $41. every 3 years you will get a form to verify all your info is correct. but you never have to pay for registration again.

the collector status is the one you need to verify that the odometer works. the historic there is no need for it to work.

some insurance companies want the mileage every year though.

Thanks, abodyjoe. I have to give some credit to the "Peoples Republic of New Jersey" for actually using common sense on this one. So, running header mufflers or being silly enough not to have wipers (I have a weight obsession!) could possibly then be an issue just with a police officer?

Thanks, abodyjoe. I have to give some credit to the "Peoples Republic of New Jersey" for actually using common sense on this one. So, running header mufflers or being silly enough not to have wipers (I have a weight obsession!) could possibly then be an issue just with a police officer?

yup. even the officer really can't do too much because the car does not need to be inspected.. well within reason anyway. if your running slicks and open headders they may bust your balls but wipers they won't say anything about. hell djvcuda has been running around for 10 years with no wipers on his car. should be goos with headder mufflers as long as it isn't stupid loud.

Great. I actually don't like a loud car, but I gotta pay back some of those straight pipe Harley guys. I appreciate your help, abj.

i wouldnt count on the cops not busting your balls. once i got pulled over for no inspection sticker while i have QQ plates. i actually have a sticker, its just old. he checked me out looked inside the car and let me go. i would bet money they can nail you with unsafe veicle or failure to make repairs. my brother got the failure to make repairs for running dumps and "bald tires" . it really depends who pulls you over and what thier attitude is towards your car. i have no doubt in my mind around here i would get nailed with collector mufflers. actually, the wildwood carshow one year they were impounding cars that had roots blowers or tunnelrams and or no hoods. im pretty sure the QQ is not meant for a free ride, it just to cut us a little slack, i was always under the impression that you still have to obide by all the rules. i have been told in the last few years they are giving QQ plates to anyone that has stickers on the car, hoodscoops and ive even heard they give a hard time about wheel and tire combos if it stands out in the pic. if you have any of that either swap it out to avoid a possible problem or use a pic of another car that looks an awfu llot like yours. i think you ar eebtter off going ther ein person to apply it takes 5 min and they push you right out the door.

I hear what you're saying, jamesdart. It just goes to show that once they have those laws, they can do what they want. I have no problem w/ an officer just doing his or her job according to the laws as they're written. It's the law makers that come up w/ this crazy stuff whom we have to vote out.
I figured I have to abide. I'm thinking of going to the Wildwood show to ask around about this subject.

It's pretty sad when they (Gestapo cops) expend time and energy screwing with a guy with a blower on a show car when there is all the rampant violent crime going on.
Like I said before, myself and 4 other cars from Florida got pulled over on Brice Rd for no front plates. And he spent a good 20 minutes hasseling us about it.
I am not knocking all cops, just the very tiny percentage that are total dickheads.
I'm glad I moved to Florida ,from Ohio,30 years ago.

I'm thinking of going to the Wildwood show to ask around about this subject.

cops at wildwood will write tickets for any little thing. thats whay i never go there. i know way too many friends that get tickets there.

the wildwood show was an awsome show. to me it was almos tliek some little undiscovered fantasy car show. you used to drive down these roads and there would be hundreds of peopel hanging out chanting you on partying and ****. cars driving around that really shouldnt be o nthe street. it was cool there. when you would go out fo rbreakfast i nthe AM it was liek there was some street race get together over nite every stop sign or traffic light looked like a burn out box. i rmember seeing altereds driving down the road. probably 30% of the cars had blowers or tunnel rams, most were tubbed. then al lof a sudden they started redeveloping wildwood and the money started coming in. the cops started cracking down more and more. last may i went and it was loaded with kids from prom and ****. we stayed one day and split. i might try the september one this year. they used to also have a burnout, flame throwing, and muffler rapping contest. it still could be a real good time if you have a few friends with cars and take over a hotel for the weekend.

You have to realize something. The old mayor passed away a few years ago sad to say for he was very car friendly. The new mayor is definetly not car friendly! That's why all the cops on every corner. The shows attedance has gone down alot. They don't realize these kind of shows are good for the town. If they set up a section of road off the beaten track just for burnouts like alot of other towns do, they wouldn't have any problems. My friend and I go every time.(he has a summer home in north Wildwood). It's still nice to see all the cars at night and then on the boardwalk the next day!
Now here's the kicker: They also have a bike show every year. Actually just this past weekend! They have all the bikers out during the day with vendors on the streets selling beer. Everyone drinking and riding around on their bikes. Now what sense does that make? Yet a cop will give a ticket to one of us with a blower:angry7:

They don't realize these kind of shows are good for the town.

especially in the off season. the club that puts it on is stupid for not pulling that show out of there. i goto the inner club meeting at the begining of the year. they got up and basically told everyone how they kissed the towns *** so they can keep it there. i would have pulled the show right out of there and told the town to stick it. the show brings a ton of money into the town.

if they pull the show out of there, where could they have it that would come close to it? a weekend at the shore with almost no one but gear heads is pretty hard to beat. joe you have a big group of car friends, you guys should get together and go for the weekend next year. if you do maybe ill join you guys. im telling you it can be a good time, you just have to kind of behave. the cops arent total aholes there. in my younger irresponsible days we were there at the car show, my girl passed out drunk so i figured what the hell, im going cruising, hard to sit at the room drinking when all you hear is loud cars doing burnouts. so im out cruising around. i see a parking lot of some bad *** cars just hanging out, i decide im going to pull down the street and check them out. i did. i pull out to turn down the next main cross street and a cop pulls in and stops me head on. im thinking oh WTF. he asks what im doing. being young and a smart ***, uhh im driving around, checking out the other cool cars. then asks well where you going? uhh... back to my room when im done. well do you realize you are driving the wrong way on a one way street? oh yeah i knew that but the other street was such heavy traffic i just wanted to avoid it and get back to my room and go to bed so i turned around to turn down the street here. in reality i had no clue i was going the wrong way and i lucked out and there was 1 empty spot on the street. he told me ok be careful and go get some rest. i was young dumb and irresponsible. i was just out cruising not hotrodding around or anything like that but i shouldnt have even been driving. he could have taken me right in. you are absolutely right, the town should be greatful ther eis an event bringing in money before the beach season starts, but i guess we have to take what we can get.

where can they have it?? just go up the coast to another shore town. don't think they really had to move it. just threaten to move it and take all the money with it.

a few guys from my site go every year. i just never had the desire to go. the place i want to go is ocean city Md. i hear that place kicks ***.

-
Back