No brake pedal

-

vernfields jr

Reaction score
ok so I replaced both calipers hoses and master cylinder on my 73 duster with power brakes. Bled brakes stating with passengers rear moving to drivers rear and then pass front and finally drivers front. Well first was master cylinder. Went thru a quart of brake fluid. No air coming out and fluid is clean and new. Still had no pedal. So I crimp off all 3 hoses. Pedal is high and hard. Start taking one at a time off. Rear brake pedal drops 1/4 in. Front drivers drops to the floor. Then pass front again pedal drops to floor. I'm very confused please help.

my best guess, calipers reversed in location/position. Another scenario, Part store provided 2 right hand or 2 left hand calipers rather than one of each.
If the bleeder isn't at the top a air pocket is trapped inside. Seen this a bunch of times.

Last edited:
Bleeders at at the top. I'm getting good brake fluid at all 4 corners.

I don't know then. I do know you would get good fluid with the bleeders in the wrong location yet never get the air pocket out of the caliper. Good luck with it.

Thank you RedFish. I'm very confused on this and I've have been a licensed mechanic for 25yrs.

Thank you RedFish. I'm very confused on this and I've have been a licensed mechanic for 25yrs.
No worries, I'll share a story about a fellow tech at the Ford dealership who overlooked the same error. I noticed Tim had drove in and out the shop door 4 times between start and lunch. I saw the error as quick as I waked by it on his lift only because I had seen the same error on a Datsun a couple years earlier. He said, "It makes brakes but the more they're used the worse they get".
So I sugested we go down to Burger King ( next door ) and do lunch. When we get back I'll show you whats wrong with it. While walking back up the hill with our bellies full, I said, "somebody put the calipers on the wrong side". He had touched those bleeders enough to know this was true before he laid eyes on it again. LOL
This was a conversion van and the owner had installed the new calipers ( most likely due to phenolic pistons sticking ). Anyway...
Tim wanted to slap someone. He let that owner keep/pay for the vacuum booster he installed.

Last edited:
ok so I replaced both calipers hoses and master cylinder on my 73 duster with power brakes. Bled brakes stating with passengers rear moving to drivers rear and then pass front and finally drivers front. Well first was master cylinder. Went thru a quart of brake fluid. No air coming out and fluid is clean and new. Still had no pedal. So I crimp off all 3 hoses. Pedal is high and hard. Start taking one at a time off. Rear brake pedal drops 1/4 in. Front drivers drops to the floor. Then pass front again pedal drops to floor. I'm very confused please help.
This just proves you have air trapped some where. Best tool I ever bought for myself was a Motive pressure bleeder.

I don't know then. I do know you would get good fluid with the bleeders in the wrong location yet never get the air pocket out of the caliper. Good luck with it.
Had this problem was a head scratcher your right the calipers were upside down easy mistake!

Ok I listened to you guys and low and behold you were right. Calipers were on the wrong side. Thank you for all the help guy's

A final note... Crimping/kinking these high pressure hoses is not good practice. You said they are new so I wont predict immediate failure but... When a hose does fail you will know where and why.
Most common scenario, high pressure fluid flows one way, doesn't free flow the other way resulting in dragging brakes. Good luck with it.

-
Back