No Choke- '67 GTS 383-4bbl

-

Bruzer

Reaction score
My '67 GTS convertible had a restoration prior to my purchasing car and for some reason the choke was never installed. I'm guessing in '67 the choke was none electric and used intake manifold heat for the choke thermostat. Regardless, I'm tired of having to start car each cold crank by having to manually close choke. So how's the best way to locate the proper choke assy for this carb and should I forget about going make to original type set up that probably was not electric to electric? I'm figuring the intake is so carboned up it can't heat the choke thermostat up any more. I remember changing out chokes from non electric to electric back in the old days in our dealership's service department wasn't uncommon. Don't remember wher the techs used to wire in the new electric choke to either.

Yes, the original choke would have been a well-type choke. I don't think you can convert an original Carter AFB to electric, but if you have a newer Carter/Eddy AFB it can be upgraded.

Thanks for your response 65VAL. I wish I could figure out how to get photos I've taken of the carb on my iphone to this site. And that includes photos of my cars. I think last time I tried it said something about the image was too large or something. Where's a teenager when you need one. Lol.

Thanks for your response 65VAL. I wish I could figure out how to get photos I've taken of the carb on my iphone to this site. And that includes photos of my cars. I think last time I tried it said something about the image was too large or something. Where's a teenager when you need one. Lol.

You're very welcome. To get your pic to upload, transfer them from your phone to your computer, then get an image resizing program (Windows Image Resizer is what I use...it's free!) and then they should upload here.

You may be right about the carboning up of the exhaust crossover passage. If so, you'll need to remove the intake to clean it out. A quick check might be to get the engine up to operating temp and use a laser thermometer pointed at the choke well area to see if it heats up well.

By the way, I LOVE your car!!!!

-
Back