No crank from key.

-

19Dart74

Reaction score
I had an initial thread that helped me through a blowing fuse issue and that is all resolved now. Thank you so much. Now I'm trying to solve an issue where there is no crank from the ignition switch to the starter. I checked for voltage with the key in crank to the ignition yellow wire on the relay to which stops there. Key on sends voltage through the resistor to the ignition module to the coil to the distributor. So that appears good. The key on from some research it appears that the NSS grounds the relay when in park. Even though, I still don't have crank. I have 12 volts running through the starter, to the relay, to which goes through to the switch and the alternator. There appears to ne an issue where the NSS is bad, the relay isn't grounding or is bad. I can crank the starter when crossing the battery and solinoid pins on the relay. Any thoughts?

You've pretty much figured it out. Ground the relay by running a jumper wire to a good ground or battery negative. If it starts, bad nss or wiring from the nss. If it doesn't, you've got a bad relay at a minimum, but you can still have a bad nss/nss wiring.

I was totally clueless when I started all this and I've really leaned a lot from this forum. I will try and ground the relay and see what happens. I am curious though... does the NSS need power going to it then send power to the relay? If there is no power coming from the NSS wire. Is that a problem?

I was totally clueless when I started all this and I've really leaned a lot from this forum. I will try and ground the relay and see what happens. I am curious though... does the NSS need power going to it then send power to the relay? If there is no power coming from the NSS wire. Is that a problem?
For the neutral safety portion, it's just a ground. Having the trans in park/neutral completes the circuit and grounds the relay.

The wiring goes up and through the bulkhead connector, so there's opportunity for a broken or cut wire, or bad nss.

Unhook the nss connection at the relay, ground the terminal and try to crank it, it's probably a bad relay/nss.

Make sure your shift linkage is adjusted correctly and getting you fully into Park and activating the NSS. They do get out of whack once in a while due to wear or other issues.

Grounded the NSS and the key now cranks the motor. Bad NSS or NSS wiring. Perfect. Very grateful, thank you!

Make sure your shift linkage is adjusted correctly and getting you fully into Park and activating the NSS. They do get out of whack once in a while due to wear or other issues.
I will check the linkage. Great insight. Thank you

This is what makes this site so great. If one guy doesn’t know how to help another steps up. Great job guys.

Easy way to chek if it's the linkage is to move the shifter a little while turning the ignition switch to start.

WARNING
You could start the engine while in drive or reverse.

Be sure the wheels are blocked in both directions

-
Back