No dash lights. Fuse box?

-

evans68cuda

Reaction score
So started really digging into my 68 barracuda fastback that I bought almost 6 months ago. The guys before me added a tach and water temp gauge but left them dangling by their wires on the floor. I thought the wiring would be a nightmare after that but doesn't look bad at all under the dash. The headlights, high beams, parking lights, tail lights, brake lights, wipers and blower motor all work. Do not have horns, turn signals, or any interior lights at all. I doubt all of the dash bulbs are out so figured it had to be electrical. Looked at the fuse box and here's what I found. What am I supposed to do now???!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I looked at the wiring diagrams and looks like the fuse that is missing is for the dash. But I cannot put a fuse into it as the wires are missing!

None of my instrument panel lights worked. I looked at the bulbs first and saw that they were still good. Ended up being an old rusty light switch dimmer. Turned the dimmer back and forth many times to get some of that surface rust off and all of the panel lights worked. Might be something to try if you have an old switch like me.

Last edited by a moderator:
None of my instrument panel lights worked. I looked at the bulbs first and saw that they were still good. Ended up being an old rusty light switch dimmer. Turned the dimmer back and forth many times to get some of that surface rust off and all of the panel lights worked. Might be something to try if you have an old switch like me.
For the headlights? I'll try that out

All these fuse boxes had a clip missing unless a tachometer or other accessory was added. That accessory wiring would include the fuse clip on the end of a wire. Two things I notice in your pics... other than the fuse for dome lamp and lighter well is missing, all those rusty clips need a good cleaning.
The dimmer rheostat in the headlight switch does dim all the lamps on the orange wire(s), inst panel ( the 4 illumination bulbs only, does not effect the 4 indicator lamps ), along with radio lamp, shift indicator lamp, all. So when the rheostat fails all those lamps fail.
Someone once suggested that the abbreviation on the fuse box is INST. and not ILL. because ill translates to sick. Anyway...
If the dome lamp fuse blows as soon as installed, the lighter well may be shorted internally ( I've seen this a few times ). and the ash tray lamp in the 68 dash is remotely located. The light was brought to the tray via a fiber optic strand. I dont recall seeing a fault or short at that bulb/fixture but anything is possible.
Back to the inst' panel. The rally panel has 2 harness connectors. there's a orange wire in both, 2 illumination bulbs on each. So if there's a problem at the pins where the harness connectors attach to circuit boards, you might get lights on only 1 side of your inst panel.
Although basic dome lamp wiring is a yellow wire, 68 model can also have a light at ignition switch and a delay timer in this wiring that further complicates things. And now this has gotten toooo complicated. First clean the fuse box, figure out which fuses blow and which don't. Trouble shoot 1 circuit at a time, the orange, then the yellow.

All these fuse boxes had a clip missing unless a tachometer or other accessory was added. That accessory wiring would include the fuse clip on the end of a wire. Two things I notice in your pics... other than the fuse for dome lamp and lighter well is missing, all those rusty clips need a good cleaning.
The dimmer rheostat in the headlight switch does dim all the lamps on the orange wire(s), inst panel ( the 4 illumination bulbs only, does not effect the 4 indicator lamps ), along with radio lamp, shift indicator lamp, all. So when the rheostat fails all those lamps fail.
Someone once suggested that the abbreviation on the fuse box is INST. and not ILL. because ill translates to sick. Anyway...
If the dome lamp fuse blows as soon as installed, the lighter well may be shorted internally ( I've seen this a few times ). and the ash tray lamp in the 68 dash is remotely located. The light was brought to the tray via a fiber optic strand. I dont recall seeing a fault or short at that bulb/fixture but anything is possible.
Back to the inst' panel. The rally panel has 2 harness connectors. there's a orange wire in both, 2 illumination bulbs on each. So if there's a problem at the pins where the harness connectors attach to circuit boards, you might get lights on only 1 side of your inst panel.
Although basic dome lamp wiring is a yellow wire, 68 model can also have a light at ignition switch and a delay timer in this wiring that further complicates things. And now this has gotten toooo complicated. First clean the fuse box, figure out which fuses blow and which don't. Trouble shoot 1 circuit at a time, the orange, then the yellow.
Wow good info! Thanks! I'll start by pulling the fuses and cleaning those clips and also check the headlight switch. I'll check tonight and let you guys know what happens

There is a way to jumper a failed rheostat and get full on illumination at all times but... for the 14 bucks invested in a new headlight switch at most any part store... why bother? In fact, the new replacement switches all include a ground wire attach point that you could use to your advantage. This ground wire wasn't part of 68 OEM electrical scheme but most will agree it should have been.

There is a way to jumper a failed rheostat and get full on illumination at all times but... for the 14 bucks invested in a new headlight switch at most any part store... why bother? In fact, the new replacement switches all include a ground wire attach point that you could use to your advantage. This ground wire wasn't part of 68 OEM electrical scheme but most will agree it should have been.
Just ordered a headlight switch, should be here Tomorrow. But I also just replaced bat fuse that was removed in the picture I took, we'll all of the interior lights are always on! Could the switch at the door be bad?

yep, The door switches provide a ground path so the fault could be that simple. Then again...
The 68 could have the delay timer which really complicated the circuit. Close the door and wait and see if the light go off? How long to wait? I'll leave this to the 68 owners here who have more recent experience with this feature. I sold my 68 last summer. I could tell you what that delay timer looks like but not where exactly to find it or how to diagnose it. Good luck

For the headlights? I'll try that out

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was referencing the dimmer on my Dart's headlight switch. I might change mine out with a new one so that I have the full range of dimming for my instrument panel lights.

yep, The door switches provide a ground path so the fault could be that simple. Then again...
The 68 could have the delay timer which really complicated the circuit. Close the door and wait and see if the light go off? How long to wait? I'll leave this to the 68 owners here who have more recent experience with this feature. I sold my 68 last summer. I could tell you what that delay timer looks like but not where exactly to find it or how to diagnose it. Good luck
I feel like an idiot! I had the light switch I'm the courtesy position. Lol. So now my only problem is the dash lights! Also I have some aftermarket Equus gauges. What wire so I splice into, to illuminate them when I turn the headlights on?

But now I keep blowing the tail light fuse...

-
Back