no gas after sitting

-

32 hooptie

Reaction score
Hi guys, i have a stock 1973 318 with carter 4 barrel that runs perfect.
My problem is the motor wont start after sitting a couple days. It starts perfect and runs perfect other wise.
when i pump the gas just a trickle of gas goes into the carb
would this be accelerator pump in the carb or could it be fuel pump?
Thanks

Modern fuels evaporate out of the carburetor after sitting a few days. What you are seeing is normal.

I agree. Also, the fuel gets help evaporating, when it is parked with a warm engine, as the heat rises, and literally boils the fuel in the bowls.

It could be evaporation but it sound more as if the gas in the carburetor and in the gas lines is draining back into the gas tank. This is also a normal problem in older vehicles and is normally caused by dry rotted rubber gas lines and/or a pin hole size leak(s). A friend of mind just corrected this problem in her 1970 318 Mopar by replacing the gas line from the tank to the carburetor now her car can sit for weeks and she pumps the gas peddle a few time and it starts right up with out having to turn the engine over and over…
Hope this helps!
KP

my brother's car does that. We always have to pump the throttle a few times then turn the key and wait a while.

mine does that too and i have all new lines and a fuel cell...could be my carb that leaks. if i put it back on the road it's probably gonna get a barry grant anyways...

I have a see threw fuel filter between the carb and the fuel pump and it always has gas in it so im not convinced that the gas is draining back into the tank...Does anyone think its the carb? when i pump the gas after its been sitting gas barely trickles into the carb. I usually just bolt on a edelbrock when i have carb problems but iv been feeling a little poor these days..

I had that problem too, put a 1/2 inch spacer under the carb and it cured my problem.

Sorry didn't seen the problem was after a few days, mine was doing it after being shut off for about 15 min after a long drive.

the carter/edelbrock has a basic design flaw...the well for the accelerator pump sits up higher then the bottom of the bowl...

so as the gas evaporates...the accelerator pump goes dry before the bowl is dry....nothing to prime engine with....

have to crank enigne to get gas into carb or electric pump to prime carb..

-
Back