no gas in filter

-

74valiant

Reaction score
just put a (new)used 318 motor in my 74 valiant. it will run with starting fluid, but is not getting gas to the carb. the fuel filter is new and has no gas in it. i cranked it or for a few minutes, but the filter doesnt seem to fill up. would this mean its the sending unit is bad, or maybe the mech fuel pump??

I would guess fuel pump but it may be a bad line/tank also. If possible get a gas can and put some fuel in it also go to the parts store and pick up 3 or 4 feet of fuel line either 5/16 or 3/8 whichever size yours is (probably 5/16 if it an original 318 car but check first.) anyway take the fuel line off the pump coming from the tank and put the new hose on the pump and stick the other end in the gas can If it starts pulling fuel you have a problem in the lines or the tank/sending unit. If it still doesnt pull any fuel get yourself a new fuel pump. Good Luck let me know if i need to clear anything up looking back on this post it may be confusing. Hope this helps Justin

Could be a dry and cracked section of hose between the pump and fuel tank (= sucking air), or yes a stuck or warped valve in the fuel pump sometimes freed by tapping with a hammer and priming the output side, or a clogged strainer or pickup tube in the tank unit. If you can take the fuel line loose from the input side of the pump the blow in the tank and get fuel out of the line you pretty well narrowed it to the pump (but still could have cracked rubber hose somewhere).

Belden

if you have an air compressor, pressurize the fuel tank, this will blow the gas up to the fuel pump so the pump will work, can't pump if no gas is there for it to pump.

my quarter bet on fuel pump lever stuck in down position.

-
Back