No oil in pass. head?

-

Corrupt_Reverend

Reaction score
Fired up the new motor yesterday for the first time.

Fired on the first crank! But it got kinda noisy so I shut it off.

This morning, I pulled the valve covers and it looks like the passenger side head isn't getting any oil past the rear two rockers. Save for the rear rockers, everything is bone dry.

I'm pretty sure the driver side head is getting oil, but not positive since that's the side with the fill-port.

Before firing I pulled the plugs and primed the oil pump with the starter.

Any thoughts on where to go from here?

('72 dat sedan freshly rebuilt 318, 727)

Why would you crank engine over to build oil pressure? Should have used drill and hex shaft to prime and check oil flow. Hope you didn't do serious damage.

Why would you crank engine over to build oil pressure? Should have used drill and hex shaft to prime and check oil flow. Hope you didn't do serious damage.

It's just how I've been taught/always done it. Never had any problems before. It's a pretty common method.

with the rotor at #1 cap terminal which confirms you are at #1 compression turn the crank 2& 17/32" (40 deg if you have a timing tape on it) clockwise past the TDC slit . Pull the pass rocker shaft assy off evenly (loosen center bolt 1/4 turn then loosen the bolt to the left 1/4 turn then the bolt to the right of center bolt 1/4 turn then far left 1/4 turn then far right 1/4 turn then back to center bolt 1/4 turn & repeat). Take out the dist and the intergear/shaft & drill prime the pump CW with the 5/16" hex shaft & see if the pass head is being oiled & it'll come up in the pedestal 2nd from the rear on the pass side.(put a cup over it so you dont get sprayed). If good there then the shaft is plugged & the shaft mini oiling holes go down and toward the valve. If no spray holler back

with the rotor at #1......................... confirms ..............40 deg if you ...............evenly (loosen center bolt 1/4 turn t........... then the bolt to the right of center bolt 1/4 turn then far left 1/4 turn then far right 1/4 turn then back to center bolt 1/4 turn .............................& repeat...................... Take out the dist ......................... the pedestal ................... If no spray holler back

Yeh. Let's DO all that. The fact is, if the damn thing did not get oil "up there" after having be RUN then it's not GOING to get oil.

with the rotor at #1 cap terminal which confirms you are at #1 compression turn the crank 2& 17/32" (40 deg if you have a timing tape on it) clockwise past the TDC slit . Pull the pass rocker shaft assy off evenly (loosen center bolt 1/4 turn then loosen the bolt to the left 1/4 turn then the bolt to the right of center bolt 1/4 turn then far left 1/4 turn then far right 1/4 turn then back to center bolt 1/4 turn & repeat). Take out the dist and the intergear/shaft & drill prime the pump CW with the 5/16" hex shaft & see if the pass head is being oiled & it'll come up in the pedestal 2nd from the rear on the pass side.(put a cup over it so you dont get sprayed). If good there then the shaft is plugged & the shaft mini oiling holes go down and toward the valve. If no spray holler back

Yes, a process!! I'm on it. :)

Also, I know it's at least pumping oil through the filter.

I didn't build this motor. But I'll ask.

Well, if you have the covers off, just look at the shafts.

Are they factory shafts??

If so there will be a notch on one end and on one side of the shaft. It should be down and in the front on the driver side and down and to the rear on the passenger side

Yeh. Let's DO all that. The fact is, if the damn thing did not get oil "up there" after having be RUN then it's not GOING to get oil.

I just sauntered over here from Moparts which I do from time to time after not having been here in awhile and this (YOU) is the third rude post Ive encountered in 5 minutes of reading. If you're having a bad day dont take it out on us (or anybody else). & some of you guys are senior members. The moderators must be pretty loose over here. Lighten up bro & my take was that he pretty much shut it down ASAP & we gotta start somewhere. RR

I just sauntered over here from Moparts d this (YOU) is the third rude post

OK "Rapid." I'll make things crystal clear for you. Go the hell back to Moparts.

Is that clear enough?

Don't be "sauntering," "wandering", "waltzing" or any other thing over here "from Moparts" and trynnna start ****

"67dart 273" I hope tomorrow is a better day for you (& I'm being sincere about that). "Mad dart" yeah you're right some of these sites will roast you alive and ain't for the thinned skinned! (such as myself). I gotta stay here tho, the parts selection for sale is paradise and the tech here has a different flavor & is top notch. What got to me is some guy from California was having mechanical difficulties & posted that he was not that car knowledgeable and asked is there was someone local who might be interested in helping him & 2 posters slammed him, one not real bad but the first one it sure sounded uncalled for. RR

"67dart 273" I hope tomorrow is a better day for you .............. RR

Do NOT be comin' over here and be lecturin' me or anyone else on good, bad, or other kinds of days, or some response you do not agree with. I don't need you hoping for me to do a damn thing. I was having a great day until YOU showed up

By the way.......don't bother replying..............

I just sauntered over here from Moparts which I do from time to time after not having been here in awhile and this (YOU) is the third rude post Ive encountered in 5 minutes of reading. If you're having a bad day dont take it out on us (or anybody else). & some of you guys are senior members. The moderators must be pretty loose over here. Lighten up bro & my take was that he pretty much shut it down ASAP & we gotta start somewhere. RR

YA that guy is arrogant for sure and a know it all he is not like here.some do most dont i have had a lot of pm about him.

OK "Rapid." I'll make things crystal clear for you. Go the hell back to Moparts.

Is that clear enough?

Don't be "sauntering," "wandering", "waltzing" or any other thing over here "from Moparts" and trynnna start ****

see i told ya

Hey guys. Can we put the bickering behind us and get back to helping this guy???

He's trying to get his car fixed, doesn't need the drama....

Some members can be very SNARKY but they are good at helping, after you get past the coarse exterior! Lets name them all 1)RustyRatRod 2)67Dart273 3)? List your favorite GRUMP!

Before firing I pulled the plugs and primed the oil pump with the starter.

Any thoughts on where to go from here?

('72 dat sedan freshly rebuilt 318, 727)

I didn't see any numbers although you do indicate oil through the filter. Do you have a mechanical gauge attached? Did you have any oil pressure when you fired?

-
Back