No oil pressure overnight!!

-

Valiantsignet20

Reaction score
So. I pulled the car into the parking spot. It had 30 psi when I cut the switch. 24 hrs later I go to start the car back up. 0 psi!! I just pulled the pressure relief valve. Clean it with croakus. Rinsed all out with Carb Cleaner. Fired it up and still 0 psi. 35k stock 225 in my 75 dart.

I think the pump has gone. But I have never heard of one dying overnight with the engine off. Any other ideas beside relief valve?

assuming you have verified 0 psi with a mechanical gauge straight into an oil galley?

Like the guy bove said, verify with mechanical gauge. If 0 psi, replace the oil pump, It's better than blowing the engine and having to rebuild/replace it.

No intermediate shaft on the slant. Find the oil pressure sender. Remove it. Disable the ignition. Get someone to spin he engine over and see if oil comes out where the sender screws in. If it comes out pretty good, my money is on a bad sender.

Has a mech gauge. Already pulled the line. Even filter and turned it over. No oil. There is no oil to the rockers either.I assume its pump then. Never had one quit on me before.

You may have had a fuel pump failure and the oil is so diluted with fuel that the pump won't pick it up

The filter is the first thing the pump "sees" so if you remove the filter, this will remove the head pressure and provide the easiest possible conditions for it to operate.

Inspect or change the oil, remove the filter and see if it will pump. If there's ANY question, change oil before you pull the engine down.

-
Back