No oil to pass side head.

-

coyote42

Reaction score
Just put my 88 318 together. Still on stand. Was a roller block now has hydrolic flat cam. When priming the oil pump I found no oil at the pass head rockers. Lots of oil everywhere else. Removed pass side rockers. Removed pass side head. Port is clear. Ran drill for pump. No oil. Removed front cover and cam. Inspected cam bearings. All holes in position. Put wire through block to cam hole. Clear. Ran drill on pump. Oil comes out the cam hole on bottom. Checked all galley plugs. Reinstalled cam, head, lifters, pushrods and rockers. Ran pump still no oil an pass side. Tons of oil on drivers side and lifters. Any thoughts? Help!

O.K. The rockers get oiled once every revolution of the camshaft. The camshaft turns 1/2 the speed of the crankshaft. Therefore the rockers get oiled every other revolution of the crank. The oil hole for the rockers is at the 10o'clock position for the right head and at the 2o'clock for the left head. Spin oil pump clockwise while turning motor over by hand. About 5 degrees at a time is a good try. You may have to do it a couple of times to nail it. When it happens it will shoot oil across the room. Good luck

On a small block:
Turn the motor to 90* before top dead center coming up on #1 compression. The pass. side rockers should get oil.
Turn the motor to 20* after top dead center just past #6 compression. The drivers side rockers should get oil.

Thanks guys. Ive been so wrapped up in rebuilding my trans this week that when I got to finish assembling the eng I overlooked WHEN the head gets oil. No I didn't turn the crank at the time.

-
Back