No one is perfect but you don't need to lie....

-
That happens more times to more members than you think (just based on what you said and happens to me as well!)

Hi 65 Dartman. You know, EXACTLY, where I am on this. It works both ways. Listing a part, then hearing "I'll take it," then the guy won't respond. Or, you want the part, then the seller withdraws. Just plain good communication as a bit of courtesy will go a very long way. Afterall, our purpose, here on Fabo, is to help one another and to get these parts to those members who need them. No games, just being helpful. Thanks for listening. sgrip65

Agreed, communication is number one. Plans or situations change.
Let the other party know whats up. If you dont like what you see, or the price isnt right, say so and move on.

Like the 300 dollar radio for my dart. Too rich for me, i wont even bite.

Way back when....I would sell a part and then 2 months later, I needed THAT part for a project I just drug in. I then I would spent more to replace it and drive 60 miles in the process!!!!! These old parts are like cars, worth whatever someone pays and what the seller takes.
I seldom sell and buy occasionally, but I have never had anyone on here do me too awful wrong. Most everyone here I great.
I have been first in line and see that part go to someone else, BUT it is just a old car part. Big deal.

I think at one point or another we have all been screwed on a deal. Its unfortunate that its so common.

2 words: 'paypal' and 'pictures'. Hasnt failed me yet.

True story:
Tuesday...
"Hey, I want to buy that intake and I get paid this friday, is that cool? "
Sure....shall I mark it as sold?
"Yes, I can send you the payment as soon as I get paid"
OK. Ill be waiting. Itll ship as soon as I get the money.
"great, thanks!"

sounds good eh? Well, friday comes and goes no word on if the payment has been mailed and no e-transfer. Monday comes, then wed then thursday. USPS First class mail for an envelope is 90% 3 days to anywhere in CONUS. So you message him back, whats up with the payment?
"oh man, something came up and I had to buy a battery for my car but I can get you this friday for sure"
Well, OK but you need to send me a message friday evening if its still on
"yeah, sure and thanks for understanding"
Friday eve comes and goes. meanwhile you got 3 other guys chomping at the bit to buy it either locally or instant payment via paypal. You are torn between your word to "mark it sold" and honor the first guys request, or cut and run with a local guy or paypal guys. Saturday AM...You swallow and contact the next guy in line and he has paypal in your account within 5 minutes, and the preboxed intake is already in the back of your car.
Saturday noon, you get a message from mail boy that the check is in the mail. What do you do? Well, I messaged him back that since I did not hear from him Friday eve as I requested and you agreed on, I assumed the deal was off.
"Dude, your a dick. You told me it was mine and I went through hell trying to send you the money and now your backing out? Thats uncool. "
Yeah, I felt bad. I tried to honor my word, but there is a limit on whats acceptable. He did not see it that way, and for that reason I set hard dates on "the check is in the mail". And I still got screwed when a guy floated a check! People hate paypal, I live with it. And if your not on this board (with all its juicy gossip!) , you will have to live with it too if you do business with me. Just dont lie to me.....
Its like a buyer trying to use you as the storage warehouse. I dont play bullshit games on my parts when selling either. You want it, send payment, or step aside for the next buyer who needs it. I have a pile of boxed up **** too that buyers backed out of. I am selling stuff because i dont need it, and want it out of my way. When people pull stunts like that, sometimes i tend to get like maybe i need to just pile it up in my scrap trailer and then it will be out of my way permanently. Then i look at the parts and say no i cant do that, theres probably somebody out there looking for this or that item i have.

As a buyer i try to be prompt with my payment and offer the same courtesy to the seller that i would expect from a buyer. In the end you have to deal with people, since its a people oriented deal. I have certain buyers on fabo that i will not deal with anymore because of their shenanigans with me.

Bottom line either as a buyer or seller, treat the other person the way you want to be treated. If you promise to send payment by a certain time and dont, the seller has a reasonable right to move on and sell it to the next in line.

I am looking for a certain intake manifold. Theres a seller i'm in contact with now waiting on some deadbeat for whatever reason for the last 2 weeks. If it pops up for sale from somebody else in the meantime, i'm there. I dont want to be waiting on a what if. Why he's waited this long is beyond me. Money talks, bullshit walks.

Agreed, communication is number one. Plans or situations change.
Let the other party know whats up. If you dont like what you see, or the price isnt right, say so and move on.

Like the 300 dollar radio for my dart. Too rich for me, i wont even bite.

You beat me to it.

I bought a 1970 coronet R/T at a scrapyard a few years back. I paid the guy for it and he said he would load it for me with his fork lift. I went back to get it and he throwed a fit and said it was too muddy to come back when the ground was froze. I went back when it was frozen and he said he didnt have time today and to come back in a couple weeks.I was driving 60 miles with a trailer each time. I tried to call before I went and the lady in the office would tell me he was busy each time. I went back for the third time and he said it was too muddy again, I had my father and brother with me and he said he would give me my money back. I told him I had my recite and i still wanted it and I would just take what I needed off of it. We stripped it of all good parts and loaded them on the trailer, all I really wanted was the bulge hood and side scoops anyway. I got everything but the hull. Later met a guy that told me he wanted it and offered him a lot more money for it. He was trying to play me off so he could get more money. Sure am glad i got a receipt.

When I was 19 my dad's friend sold me his '70 firebird (400 4-speed) for $400, which I paid for with cheque, but when the day came to deliver it he came by and said "oh it's not working right, there's a problem with the compression or the crank shaft or something or other" (I actually cannot remember the excuse). So he came by, ripped my cheque in half, and placed it back into my hand. No car!

At the time I thought, well yeah it was a pretty sweet deal for me, it wasn't a super spectacular car by any means but it still had some life in it. Previously him and my dad were talking about something or other and he mentioned he had this firebird that he needed to dispose of, and of course I perked right up "oh???? and what's a fair price?" and he said, I dunno, how about $400 and I'll drop it off and I was like, hell yeah!!

Anyway, no hard feelings, honestly. I'm sure he mentioned it to his wife or some other friends, and they probably tuned him in, and he probably got $1,000 or more for it (it was like 25 years ago), it was genuinely undervalued at $400, and especially considering what they go for nowadays. Later that summer I wound up going together with my older brother, we stopped in at the police auction and picked up TWO 1970s dodge challenger wrecks, one was smashed up but had a good drive train and interior, the other had a blown-up motor and somebody had abandoned it somewhere with 2 lbs of hamburger in the back seat, in the summer, so that interior was completely destroyed. We had a TON of fun putting those wrecks together and having a roadkill car for awhile, and then later on I got rid of it because it was completely impractical and I had nowhere to keep it.

-
Back