no power to fuse

-

Jon Melhuish

74Duster
Reaction score
Hello guys
I just brought home a 72 dart swinger.......I have no power at the fuse box for the gas gauge and temp gauge. I've had a quick look at the wiring .......what do you think is the most likely cause or logical places to start. Hopefully have a go at it ,later in the week .

thanks

Bulk head on the fire wall plug could have a bad/dirty connection

There IS no fuse for the fuel and temp gauge........................

I assume they are not working. You need to treat these as and "end to end" system. The cluster gets power from the ignition switch

If you don't have a shop manual, go here and download one......

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

This could be a bad connection at the cluster PC board harness connector, could be a bad instrument voltage limiter.

Also be aware, that the socket on the PC board into which the IVR fits could be "not making connection" with the PC board traces.

Also, these clusters are known for grounding problems. If you decide to pull the cluster please post back here.

Could this be in the ignition switch 67Dart ?

Could this be in the ignition switch 67Dart ?

No. The "ignition run" wire comes off the ignition switch and there's a splice in the harness. That feeds directly up to the PC board connector. The car would not run if it was the switch at fault.

Thanks
So I have a couple of issues .....no power to first fuse in fuse panel and gauges not working.
I'm thinking before all this started I had some sort of leak to ground. When I first got the car the battery died .....when I charged it and re installed it I had major sparks when I hooked up the battery. Now I have no sparking but things not working

OK, FINALLY the "real" question comes out LOL

IS IT POSSIBLE that you either hooked up the battery backwards or CHARGED it backwards?

What DOES work? You have headlights? Does the car run?

What is this "first fuse?"

There is a fuse in your panel (Try looking in the manual I posted) that DOES NOT HAVE power except under certain conditions. This is a "trick fuse" It is the 'inst' fuse

The power for the dimmer controlled dash panel lamps comes from the tail / park circuit fuse, so that fuse / circuit has to be working, and the headlight switch must be in park or head

The dimmer control must be twisted somewhat to the left

Now, power comes OUT of the dash dimmer on a tan wire, goes TO the inst fuse in the fuse box, and then OUT of the fuse to all the dash lamps on orange wiring.

A good way to look for shorts / problems like this is to take a "heavy" test lamp like a stop / tail lamp and wire it in series with the battery ground. That way, when you hook the battery up, if there's a short, the test lamp lights, and nothing burned up.

The battery was charged properly and hooked up correctly for sure.......i brought the car home and the battery drained while parked in my heated shop. I think there was a leak to ground. After i charged it and hooked up the terminals there was a lot of sparking as if there was a big load on it. Everything seems to be working except the temp and fuel guage. Im almost positive guages were working when i bought the car.
I will poke away later in the week and let you know what i find.

Tnx

OK, the "sparking" thing worries me, as this should not be...........Have you installed an aftermaket stereo, such as with a separate amplifier?

Check your alternator where the main charging line hooks up.

Sometimes "minor" sparking is OK as you might have lift the doors open / dome lights on etc, as you are hooking up the battery.

Here's the thing....................the key should have been off?? when you hooked up the battery??

If so, there should have been no connection to the gauges, and even if the key had been left on, this should not have damaged them.

The sparking worries me also.......i have no stereo at all yet. The key was off when i installed the battery .....thats why i figured i must have short somewhere. The thing is i have no sparking now at all when i play with the battery connections and everything else seems to be working.
I will have to trace the fuse that doesnt have power and the temp and fuel gauge.

-
Back