No power to ignition or to lights

-

Relax360

Reaction score
I have a 70 Road Runner and I am not getting any power to the ignition system or the lights.

I have checked the battery it is got full power.
I tested the starter relay with a test light it is getting power.

What should I check next?
I know the ammeter is working I tested it as well

Do you have a wiring diagram?

FIRST Do you have the ammeter hooked up? These are the big red and black wires under the dash, the only two with ring type wire ends. These must either be hooked to the ammeter or bolted together and taped.

Here's a simplified diagram of the main power feed from Mad Electrical:

Your main battery feed is from the battery, to the star relay, and from there a fuse link that GOES THROUGH the bulkhead connector, so that is one of the first things to check--see if it's getting both sides of the bulkhead

From there the red wire feeds to the ammeter

Coming off the ammeter, notice the big black goes to a SPLICE. This is a big factory "welded" splice, taped up in the harness under the dash. IN my lifetime I've seen AT LEAST 4 of these fail.

From the splice, power feeds off to the "hot buss" of the fuse box, the headlight switch, and the ignition switch.

Then this BLACK large gauge wire continues on OUT the bulkhead connector, and ends up at the alternator. Under normal conditions, if this circuit is intact, the alternator output stud will be "hot" with 12V

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

amp-ga18.jpg

looks like i have lost power in the bulkhead somewhere. Will have to pull the gauge cluster to test the leads thanks for the info

-
Back