No-Prep Racing in Spokane tonight

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am pretty new to racing and want to get some setup recommendations for my Scamp. The track has been closed for 2-3 years due to sale and renovations. Today it opens for no-prep and test and tune.

2 years ago I had my car on chassis dyno and it had 409 rear wheel HP, 430 or so TQ. Later, I found that the cam timing was way off and redid that to specs of the cam maker. Before changing the cam timing the best I could get was 1.735 60 and 12.3 at 110. I am hoping to get into 11s tonight, even if 11.99. I have not dynoed since the cam changes but seat of the pants feels much stronger. Real or Feel??

The car is 73 scamp with full interior, 512 stroker RB, trickflow 240, super sniper EFI, 3.91 gears 8 3/4 rear. I also changed to viking dual adjustable shocks all around. MT street radials 255/60-15s. 727 with transgo 2 kit. Quicksilver shifter. Only 3200 stall Hughes converter (weak link, I know). Line lock installed. SS springs

Temp will be about 76-82 at race time, Elevation at 2200 ft.

For a no prep race what do you set tire pressures at? Any starting tips? Burnout ideas? Any Cautions? I set the vikings to Drag specs.

Btw, I do have room for 275/60-15s but still some life in the 255s. How do decide which to run? On the street I have 275 cobras

Wish me luck

Good luck and have fun!!

That being said, I wouldn’t be too concerned with whatever the ET’s are under “no prep” conditions.

You will be disappointed at that no prep race at Spokane. I would recommend waiting until they get the track better and have some races under their beltl get some rubber on the track and know how to run a track.

they had to cancel their Race 2 weeks ago due to no traction.

they cancelled their first race. They stated it was for “safety reasons”.

Not a good start to their ownership, and I hope they do get it sorted out. I would like to go there and race but I will wait for better days. Not going to waste my time and break my car because they arent ready to have a race.

I busted up laughing at their announcing a no prep race. It wasn’t on the schedule, then it’s on! Think about it, then laugh

Last edited:
Will they have 60ft clocks? Your 60ft will tell you how much you are losing on no-prep.
Mph will tell you how much power you have.... but no-prep will mess with that calculation too.

Edit: like PRH said, go, have fun, don't give a crap about the numbers (no prep!). Just be careful if you blow the tires off. Don't get on it again, or try to drive thru it. That's why rookies crash on no prep.

Short burnout on drag radials (don't even drive that thing out of the garage toward a racetrack on bfg's. or cobra's)
Around 20 lbs rear tire pressure. You can play with that, but I sure wouldn't go under 15.
I would stage, bring it to a fast idle, 15-1800 or so, and stab it at the last yellow, assuming a full tree. If it spins....PEDAL IT, and just drive to the other end. And then try something different next lap. Maybe half throttle from a dead idle.
Point is... play, have fun, experiment. You have find out what works for your car, and YOU.

Last edited:
Hey Kent good to hear from you. Good luck. Wish I was there!!

All this spinning isn’t good for the rear end and all related components like spider gears, unjoints, wheel studs, etc. You may find a weak link.

I don’t like to go into a know spinning situation. I go home when the track prep is bad.

Racing was good while it lasted. Track had some spills and cleanup took forever. We were in the first race down the track and unfortunately the timing system did not pick it up. Second and only other run was good for what it was. Car launched straight and accelerated smoothly. No tire slip that we could pick up. (my son drove the car). Small burnout just to heat up the tires a bit as the temps dropped to about 70 in shade. He launched at about 2000 rpms and just let the transmission do all the shifting. It was our fastest run ever, on a non-prepped track. The timeslip is hard to read.

reaction 0.176
60 ft 1.895
330 ft 5.122
1/8 mile 7.868
1/4 mile 12.218 at 113.85 mph

Car ran well, stayed cool and steering was smooth all the way. 16:1 steering (new box).
I have the runs datalogged from the Super Sniper and I will look at them later. I am not an expert at EFI tuning but I will look for anything odd, drop in fuel pressure, A/F ratio , timing erratic.

1973 Scamp No-Prep race Here is a video of the race. Any comments on anything will be helpful.

I forgot to mention the torsion bars are 1.03 PST so not ideal for launch. The car is designed to be a hot rod, not a pure racer as we only have 5-6 races a year around here.

IMG-3204.jpg

Never be in the first 10 pairs of cars down the track, especially when they are new at it like this place.

Car sounds good, it will be in the 11’s on a good track.

Either the fan belt or the tires were slipping, can you hear that screeching sound at the hit of the throttle? 1.89 60 is pretty slow For that car and the thought of no tire spin.

Racing was good while it lasted. Track had some spills and cleanup took forever. We were in the first race down the track and unfortunately the timing system did not pick it up. Second and only other run was good for what it was. Car launched straight and accelerated smoothly. No tire slip that we could pick up. (my son drove the car). Small burnout just to heat up the tires a bit as the temps dropped to about 70 in shade. He launched at about 2000 rpms and just let the transmission do all the shifting. It was our fastest run ever, on a non-prepped track. The timeslip is hard to read.

reaction 0.176
60 ft 1.895
330 ft 5.122
1/8 mile 7.868

Car ran well, stayed cool and steering was smooth all the way. 16:1 steering (new box).
I have the runs datalogged from the Super Sniper and I will look at them later. I am not an expert at EFI tuning but I will look for anything odd, drop in fuel pressure, A/F ratio , timing erratic.

1973 Scamp No-Prep race Here is a video of the race. Any comments on anything will be helpful.

I forgot to mention the torsion bars are 1.03 PST so not ideal for launch. The car is designed to be a hot rod, not a pure racer as we only have 5-6 races a year around here.

View attachment 1716106202

Disappointed to miss your runs. I made it there late and saw you on the trailer already and then you were gone. Glad to hear you weren't on the trailer because something broke.

I stayed until it shut down, about midnight. Fun night, cool cars. There was a '68 AMX that sounded just wicked running the original (but hopped up) 390. Ran low 10's on spray, spinning to 7400 rpm. Talked to the owner for quite a while, cool guy and really nice car.

Disappointed to miss your runs. I made it there late and saw you on the trailer already and then you were gone. Glad to hear you weren't on the trailer because something broke.

I stayed until it shut down, about midnight. Fun night, cool cars. There was a '68 AMX that sounded just wicked running the original (but hopped up) 390. Ran low 10's on spray, spinning to 7400 rpm. Talked to the owner for quite a while, cool guy and really nice car.
We watched a few races and then another spill, so that meant 30 more minutes before racing. The AMC was really fast and screamed down the track. I did not know it was on spray. Let’s connect next time.

I am pretty new to racing and want to get some setup recommendations for my Scamp. The track has been closed for 2-3 years due to sale and renovations. Today it opens for no-prep and test and tune.

2 years ago I had my car on chassis dyno and it had 409 rear wheel HP, 430 or so TQ. Later, I found that the cam timing was way off and redid that to specs of the cam maker. Before changing the cam timing the best I could get was 1.735 60 and 12.3 at 110. I am hoping to get into 11s tonight, even if 11.99. I have not dynoed since the cam changes but seat of the pants feels much stronger. Real or Feel??

The car is 73 scamp with full interior, 512 stroker RB, trickflow 240, super sniper EFI, 3.91 gears 8 3/4 rear. I also changed to viking dual adjustable shocks all around. MT street radials 255/60-15s. 727 with transgo 2 kit. Quicksilver shifter. Only 3200 stall Hughes converter (weak link, I know). Line lock installed. SS springs

Temp will be about 76-82 at race time, Elevation at 2200 ft.

For a no prep race what do you set tire pressures at? Any starting tips? Burnout ideas? Any Cautions? I set the vikings to Drag specs.

Btw, I do have room for 275/60-15s but still some life in the 255s. How do decide which to run? On the street I have 275 cobras

Wish me luck
Good luck, sorry I'm late dude

Great ? Northwest representing. Someday hope to hit a track with you guys. Next year come over to Yakima for the Mopar races at renegade

reaction 0.176
60 ft 1.895
330 ft 5.122
1/8 mile 7.868

View attachment 1716106202

The announcer works at renegade also, it sounded like you spun a bit on the launch.

The announcer works at renegade also, it sounded like you spun a bit on the launch.
I am unsure if it was spin or fan belt. I heard the fan belt squeal when we revved it in the pits but I didn’t bring tools. Doh.

I bet several guys on here will tell you "converter", but you have to balance that against how much street highway you want to do. If/ when I get mine back, I don't want to cruise down the highway burning ATF LOL

-
Back