No response in brake section, sorry. Quick question!

-

66 Barracuda

Reaction score
Quick question about (metering / holdback valve) for front brakes.
Just converted a 66 Barracuda front brakes to disc from 73 Duster.
-Fwd / small chamber to rear brakes with adjustable proportioning valve.
I'm ready to plumb the front brakes from rear/large chamber of master cyl and was going to just use a tee fiting to route to the fronts. Is a metering valve neccesary or just a upgrade.
Also, does it matter how far the proportioning valve is located from master cyl.
Thanks.

I would say yes you need a distribution block. Why? so you have the ability to incorporate a pressure sensor for the brake system or "idiot" light. I do not think it matters how far the prop valve is to the rear wheels. Most I have seen are under the hood or just past the distribution block under the car.

My two cents,
John D. Beckerley

Not looking for distribution block. Asking about the valve that limits front disc calipers from engaging until the rear brakes shoes catch up and start to grab.

I didn't put one on my '63 when I converted to discs (or an adjustable prop valve for that matter) and it stops fine. I think the Mopar Action article just recommendeda prop valve and not bother with the metering valve.

my 66 does not have a brake idiot light, I think these became standard on the later A bodies. I used the distribution block from the old system and put a plug in the rear port of the block. I ran the rear brake line direct to the back with an adjustable prop valve in line. Works great !

The valve you're asking about is called a Hold-Off Valve, and it does exactly what you describe.
I converted my 69 Dart SBP disc to LBP disc brakes from a 73 Dart, and used the original prop valve and hold off valve from the 69.
I would recommend it. It ensures stability in a panic stop situation. If it wasn't a good idea, the factory would never have installed it.

George

I have manual disks with just a T-fitting going to the fronts and an adjustable rear porportioning valve to the rears.

Stops just fine even when I stab them quickly.

-
Back