No running lights, interior or dash lights.

-

sireland67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What would be a common problem that would cause the running lights, interior cab lights, brake lights and dash lights to go out all at once on a 78 W-150?
The headlamps, turn signals, work.
I checked the fuses, and changed the headlight switch.
The wiring harness is not hacked, has not even been cut for a radio.
I did add a brake controller, and trailer connecter years ago.
This truck has never had had electrical problems.
Everything worked fine, but my wife used the truck one evening to take the grand kids to the drive in, when she went to leave there was no running lights.

I just cannot for the life of me think what is related to take the lights out, but not blow a fuse, unless the electric brake controller some how went bad, because the light will not even come on in it. It a Kurt controller, so a decent brand name.

Did you actually check both ends of the fuse with a voltmeter? Fuses can "look" good and still be bad/ blown, or in the case of the older cartridge fuses, the clips get loose/ rusty/ corroded

Check underside of fuse panel too. They can give up with old age.
The fuse holders get corroded too.

I always use a test light on both fuse terminals.

Did you actually check both ends of the fuse with a voltmeter? Fuses can "look" good and still be bad/ blown, or in the case of the older cartridge fuses, the clips get loose/ rusty/ corroded

I did check the fuses for continuity, they were fine.
I did not check for 12V in the box itself, I will do that tomorrow if the rain holds off.

I am actually pretty good with wiring, but I just cannot isolate this issue, and it started while I was not in the truck, I am just working off, my wife called and said there is no running lights on the truck, but the headlamps work.

The truck starts and runs fine, the amp gauge in the dash is working.

Check underside of fuse panel too. They can give up with old age.
The fuse holders get corroded too.

I will look at that close, I did not notice any corrosion on the holders, at least in a W-150 the fuse box is in the glove box, and easy to see.
I just cannot even see how the running lights, are even connected to the dome light in the cab, which also went out at the same time.

One thing though, this truck is only drove every couple of weeks, actually not even used enough to justify keeping around. I know sitting is hard on them.

Also check your underhood fuse links.

Theres a few feeds that start common,like whats happening-all battery live. Cant call the brake controller, unless you pulled power from something common.
My 80’ shop manual is in the -shop.
Could look at it tomorrow. It should be similar.

Bing!
Bet the cigarette lighter is out too...check that fuse.
I dont remember why, but it strikes me as something familiar...

I had this problem with my Dart and it turned out that it was burning up the fuse repeatedly. But the source of that problem was actually a bad connection on the back of the fuse box (as was referenced above).

Bing!
Bet the cigarette lighter is out too...check that fuse.
I dont remember why, but it strikes me as something familiar...

Man, you just jogged my memory from 30 years ago, I had a Ramcharger and my kids stuck a penny in the cigarette lighter, it caused all kinds of lighting issues.

As soon as I got home this evening, I checked the lighter, and it is not working.
If the weather co-operates in the next few days, I will work on the truck some more, do not have the space to get it into the garage.

Theres a few feeds that start common,like whats happening-all battery live. Cant call the brake controller, unless you pulled power from something common.
My 80’ shop manual is in the -shop.
Could look at it tomorrow. It should be similar.

80 should be the same, my dad has manuals for a 77 & 79, if he can find them.

I pulled the power for the brake controller directly from the battery, but it does have one wire that taps into the brake light switch.

Check your grounds really good i fought a similar problem with my 85 ram I took me months to find it but it was the ground on drivers side frame right behind the rear wheel. It went to the drivers side taillight. But it jacked my whole wiring up. My brakelights would work unless the headlights where on and if they where on the taillights wouldn't nore would the brake or turn signals it was crazy took me forever to find it I hope this helps save you some stress.

Check the purple/white going into fusebox. Im thinking its dead.
It feeds various circuits. Inluding the ones you are having trouble with.

Check the purple/white going into fusebox. Im thinking its dead.
It feeds various circuits. Inluding the ones you are having trouble with.

Purple and white wire is good, it goes to the hazzard lights which are working.
I am getting power across everything in the fuse box, no fuses blown.
My next place that I am going to look at is the bulkhead connector, take it apart and clean it.
I really hate going about this in the dark, this one has me really puzzled.
I did unhook the brake controller, no change.

I got lights!!!!

I un-hooked the leads from the bulkhead connector, and seen a little corrosion, put some baking soda in my hand held sand blaster, and cleaned the connections up.
Added some di-electric grease and everything is working again.
Thanks for everybody that replied, it ended up just being old age that gave me fits.
TYDG0K.jpg

cQh4jI.jpg

I got lights!!!!

I un-hooked the leads from the bulkhead connector, and seen a little corrosion, put some baking soda in my hand held sand blaster, and cleaned the connections up.
Added some di-electric grease and everything is working again.
Thanks for everybody that replied, it ended up just being old age that gave me fits.
View attachment 1715204195
View attachment 1715204196
Your old age or the truck’s?
A little of both maybe...

Your old age or the truck’s?
A little of both maybe...
Probably both, because one of the first things I thought of was the bulkhead connector when the wife called me, I had trouble years ago with a connector in a different 76 W200 that would intermittently charge.
Oh well, the truck should be good for a while now.
I have some junk I need to haul tomorrow, and really did not want to use my new truck.
The old trucks tailgate is nearly a foot lower than the new one, so easier to load stuff.

-
Back